Upgrade to Pro — share decks privately, control downloads, hide ads and more …

Summer 2020 Orientation for new international students (English)

13e0500d2721da6352a312b77b98c4f6?s=47 UTokyo ISSR
March 26, 2020

Summer 2020 Orientation for new international students (English)

Orientation slides for UTokyo new international students (Summer 2020) 2020年夏学期 新入留学生用の生活オリエンテーションのスライドです。



March 26, 2020


  1. Summer 2020 Orientation for New International Students 1 International Student

    Support Room 東京大学 留学生支援室 ENG
  2. 2 1. On-Campus Resources for Students 2. School Rules and

    Regulation 3. Life in Japan Visa/Immigration Regulation NHI/Tax Health, Safety and Budgeting, Support for your family 4. Networking
  3. 1 3

  4. https://www.u- tokyo.ac.jp/en/about/international_han dbook.html 4 https://www.u- tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/index.html You can find general

    information for international students
  5. 1 2 Go Global Center ISSR Support Desk 留学生支援室 サポートデスク

    Student Counseling Center 学生相談所 (in Japanese) Harassment Counseling Center ハラスメント相談所 Student Support Center Career Support Office, Disability Office, Gotenshita Gym 学生支援センター 3 University Hospital Area病院 4 Admin. Bldg.#2 International Student Support Room 留学生支援室(3F) Health Service Center 保健センター(2F) 5
  6. Health Service Center 2F, Admin bldg. 2 保健センター Internal medicine,

    otolaryngology (ear, nose, and throat), dentistry*, psychiatry* 内科・耳鼻科・歯科*・精神科* *Appointment necessary for dentistry and psychiatry. Check the information on the website. http://www.hc.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/ -Regular health check-up (once a year) -Bring your student ID (NHI card is not necessary) -Reasonable treatment cost -Referral to a medical institution outside of the university, when necessary -Doctors have experience with international students 2 6
  7. 7 Go Global Center Support Desk Walk in service 12:30-16:00

    (weekdays) *Inquiry about daily life issues/Japanese language support *Registration for various exchange programs *Taking appointment for counseling and career support *English/Japanese (Mon-Fri), Chinese speaking staff(Thu) https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/support-issr.html Inquiries : issr.adm@gs.mail.u-tokyo.ac.jp 03-5841-2360 / 03-5841-1720 -Visa consulting service (Mon/Wed) -Student Plaza (exchange space) 9:30-17:00 1 International Student Support Room(ISSR) Please also check UTokyo web for International Students https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/index.html If you are KOMABA Campus Students, check this page : https://www.globalkomaba.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/
  8. Counseling /Consultation Services International Student Support Room 留学生支援室 (ISSR) Room

    333 3F, Admin bldg. #2 -Languages available : English, Japanese (Mon-Fri) Chinese (Mon, Wed, Thu) *Free of charge, by appointment only *How to make an appointment https://business.form-mailer.jp/fms/718b132b82974 Inquiries : issr.adm@gs.mail.u-tokyo.ac.jp 03-5841-2360 / 03-5841-1720 2 8
  9. Other counseling resources on campus 9 Counseling in English (Komaba

    campus) Contact <counseling.iekomaba.adm@gs.mail.u-tokyo.ac.jp > for an appointment Consultation in English/Chinese/Japanese (Kashiwa campus) Contact < issr.adm@gs.mail.u-tokyo.ac.jp > for details Student Counseling Center 学生相談所 Provides counseling service for all students (in Japanese) http://dcs.adm.u-tokyo.ac.jp/scc/
  10. Disability Services Office Support and accommodations are provided based on

    the needs and conditions of each students with disability See more details http://ds.adm.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/faq.html Harassment Counseling Center Sexual harassment, or any kinds of harassment on campus http://har.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/ 10
  11. 11 How can Student Support Services be useful for students?

    -Talking to someone generally helps to release stress. -Guidance and information may help you find alternative ways to deal with your concerns. -It also helps you to recover smoothly and maintain your health condition. -Learning stress management skills will help you to cope with your stress more effectively. How can students know when they should get some support from professional? Stress reaction can take many different forms. For example, sleep too much or cannot sleep, changes in diet, and eating too much or too less, having trouble concentrating, feeling down or high, wanting to cry or feeling numb, easily annoyed and angry, or feeling less confidence and useless. Some of you may think that professional support is last resort. Do not hesitate to contact us when you do not feel all right, or have any concerns! Do students need to provide their personal information to use services? Some services ask you to provide your personal information. In these cases, they have confidential policy so that students information will be strictly protected and will not be disclosed without their consent.
  12. • Personal consultation (Career Support Office / ISSR) • ISSR

    collaboratively works with Career Support Office and holds career seminars for international students. • Support may be available at your department (such as support from alumni, University recommended recruitment system, etc.) You can also receive the useful information via ISSR newsletter for International Students 就職活動関連の情報は留学生支援室メールニュースで配信します https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/support-mm.html Please also check JASSO Job Hunting Guide for International students https://www.jasso.go.jp/en/study_j/job/guide.html Career support for international students 留学生のための就職支援 12
  13. Student Support Center Offices for Student activities (2F) *Register student

    organization *booking for student activity spaces (3F) *Purchase pass for Gotenshita Gym Scholarship and Welfare Group (1F) *Applying for Tuition Exemption Disability Support Center B1F(Mall floor) Career Support Office https://www.careersupport.adm.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ 3 13
  14. Gymnasium Gotenshita Memorial Arena 400yen/1 day 9,000yen/Annual pass Purchase at

    Student Support Center Mon-Fri 11:30-20:20(-21:20 May-July) Sat 10:30-19:20 Gotenshita 3 http://www.undou-kai.com/goten/index_e.html 14
  15. 15 Co-op Join Co-op at Co-op office (16,000 yen deposit)

    Member benefits •Discount at Co-op bookstore, cafeteria and dining hall •Discount on CD/DVDs at Co-op bookstores.(back-order) •TUO card application (Co-op credit card - VISA). For more details: http://www.utcoop.or.jp/foreign/
  16. Co-op Shops & Cafeterias Bookstore 1F Bookstore (10% discount for

    member) 2F Daini Dining Hall(lunch )/Co-op office Including Vegetarian/Halal meals 3F Activity Space *Friday prayer space for Muslim students Co-op store No.2 Co-op store No.1 Chuo Dining Hall Including Vegetarian /Halal meals Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner Mon-Fri 8:00-21:00 Sat, Sun,Holi 11:00- 19:00 *opening hours may vary Mon-Fri 10:00-19:00 Sat 10:00-17:00 16
  17. 17 Renting private apartment -University has “Apartment Guarantor System” for

    international students. For more details, visit Go Global Center -Apartment information is available from Housing office website https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/housing-office/en/housing/minkan/index.html -Initial cost is between 4 and 6 times of the monthly rent (agent fee, key money, deposit, rent for the first month, plus moving fee.) -Apartment (single room) in Bunkyo-ku area- 65,000-75,000 yen/month. -Usually, contract is for 2 years/ extend with extension fee -Need to inform 1 or 2 months before moving out 1
  18. 18 UTokyo Internet Services To use internet services on campus,

    including UTokyo WiFi, ECCS (access to computers on campus), UTAS (for course registration), UTokyo Account is required. For more details, go to the link below https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ja/administration/dics/service/account.html “Common ID number” = Your UTokyo Account Your student ID card and UTokyo Account
  19. 2 19

  20. 20 Rules and regulations on Campus School rules/regulation https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/about/rules_main.html Questions

    regarding School Procedures Such as • Can I take a leave of absence? • What will happen if I fail to pay my tuition fee on time? • What will happen if I cannot complete enough credit? • Do I need to inform my absence when I plan to go abroad/ return to my home country for holiday? • Do I need to inform my address when I move to new apartment? ⇒Faculty/graduate school office
  21. 21 Information ethics and computer use Guidelines for Information Ethics

    and Computer Use https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/content/400098733.pdf Social Media Policy https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/general/sns_policy.html Academic manners /Research ethics Please follow instruction provided by your school/graduate school. Harassment Prevention Policy on campus http://har.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/reference_data/
  22. 22

  23. 23 Please carefully read the visa/immigration rules in Japan. You

    are responsible to learn and follow the rules that apply to you. Visa Information https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/life-visa.html Visa Consultation on Campus https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/life-visa-vc.html Notice: Due to the Novel Coronavirus, special condition may be applied to your visa /immigration procedure. Please carefully check the related information. ISSR lists the important information for international students. https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/index.html
  24. 24 • Register at city/ward office within 14 days after

    moving in to the new place. • Keep Residence card number in case of reissuing the card • Any changes with your status need to be reported within 14 days (change of address→city/ward office, change of visa status, name →Immigration Bureau) • You must carry your residence card always with you(passport cannot substitute resident card) • College student residential status is only valid while you are student (NOT until the date shown on the card) *Please also check” Part time job p40” Residence Card
  25. 25 My Number Notification Card It will be sent to

    your registered address by recorded delivery Social security and tax number My Number Card In case that you are absent when delivery is attempted, a notice will be left by the postal service. Arrange the re-delivery within 1 week.
  26. My Number Notification Card (Paper) My Number Card (Plastic) By

    applying with your picture, you can receive “My number card”. However, notification card will be enough in most of the cases*, even if you do not have my number card. Please make sure to keep the notification card. -When you are moving to new place, you also need to change the address written in the my number notification card or my number card, though your number remains the same. *For example, you need to provide your number to receive salary for your part time job. In this case, you are requested to submit the copy of “My number notification card” or “My number card”. *You also need the copy for tax claim procedure. 26
  27. National Health Insurance (NHI) 70% covered by NHI 30% You

    will pay Health insurance premium changes based on your earning in the previous year(Jan-Dec) *1,500-2,000 per month, if you are student without income. *If you fail to finalize your income status in the previous year, you may be charged to pay more. Please check the slips that you receive at the end of June each year from NHI office and make sure the premium stays the same. 27
  28. 28 NHI and TAX procedure Scholarship is NOT considered as

    income. Some fellowship grant is considered as income.. With income Income Tax refund -At Regional Tax office / Feb 16-March 15 -Tax withholding slip (receive in Dec.) from employer is required. *Check if your country has tax treaty with Japan Without income If you have no income, submit “Regional tax report form (to declare you had no income in the previous year)” in Feb/March to city/ward office to claim your income status. If you fail to take this procedure, your national health insurance premium may increase. Notice will be sent to you from the ward/city office in June/July to inform insurance premium of the coming year. Make sure the premium stays the same, if your income status has not been changed.
  29. 29 1st step Clinic, University Health Service Center 2nd step

    Large medical institution such as the University of Tokyo Hospital Referral Letter Referral letter is required to visit a large medical institution. *Visiting directly to the large hospital is not necessary except for emergency situation. It will be charged extra fee in addition to the regular medical expenses. Medical Services in Japan
  30. 30 Tokyo Metropolitan Health and Medical Information Center (Himawari) http://www.himawari.metro.tokyo.jp/qq13/qqport/tomintop/

    Hospital Information in Japan (for international travelers) You can find suitable hospitals filtering by area, language of use and medical department. (English) https://www.jnto.go.jp/emergency/eng/mi_guide.html (Japanese) https://www.jnto.go.jp/emergency/jpn/mi_guide.html Inbound Medical Assistance Service for International Students (IMAS) UTokyo International students can join for free of charge. Registration is required. https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/current-students/imas.html Emergency 24/7, 365 days-a-year Medical Assistance (Japanese/English/Chinese) for International Students
  31. 31 Insurance *Insurance for the visitors If your family members

    are planning to visit you, make sure they buy oversea travel insurance before departure! Accident Insurance for Students pursuing Education and Research (GAKKENSAI) All UTokyo students are covered by this insurance. This covers accident during school activity, including the accident while you are commuting to campus. Damage you caused WILL NOT be covered by this insurance. Comprehensive Renter’s Insurance for Foreign Students (留学生住宅総合補償) For students who use University guarantor system to rent a room. Damage you caused may be covered by this insurance. (Conditions may apply.) Gakkensai Futai Gakuso for Inbound students (留学生向け学 研災付帯学生生活総合保険) Inclusive insurance which also covers accident not related to school activity. *Strongly recommended to buy this insurance! Contact your graduate school or ISSR for more information
  32. 32 Bicycle Register your bicycle Step1: Register Anti-Crime Prevention at

    the bicycle shop Fee: 500 yen Step2: Parking on Hongo Campus Apply at Co-op store No.2 Fee: 1,000yen for one academic year Make sure of the traffic rules * Left side/No umbrella/No cellphone/No headset *Parking spaces for bicycles are restricted around subway/railway stations or most public areas. Buy insurance Regarding the bicycle liability insurances Under the Tokyo Metropolitan Government ordinance, all cyclists in Tokyo must be covered by liability insurance. If you have not bought any liability insurance, please enroll in the insurance as soon as possible.
  33. 33 (sample) 譲渡 証 明 書 TRANSFERENCE OF OWNERSHIP (被譲渡者)NEW

    OWNER 氏名 NAME 住所 ADDRESS (THE DATE OF TRANSFER THE OWNERSHIP) 私は、 年 月 日に上記の者に下記自転車を譲渡しまし た。 I transferred the ownership of my bicycle to the person mentioned above. 製造会社名 MANUFACTURER 型・色 TYPE & COLOR (譲渡者)PREVIOUS OWNER 氏名 NAME 住所 ADDRESS 電話番号 TEL. If you get second hand bicycle from your friend, re-register anti-crime prevention with a letter of transference of ownership
  34. 34 • Call 110 (Police) for record • Call 119

    for ambulance or see a doctor for medical examination • Exchange contact information(name, address, telephone number, insurance company) • Inform your accident to your graduate/department office and receive further support In case of traffic accident
  35. 35 Multilingual resources outside campus for unexpected situation Sexual Assault

    Relief Center (SARC TOKYO) 03-5607-0799 (24 hours) http://sarc-tokyo.org (in Japanese) https://sarc-tokyo.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/SARC-in- English.pdf (in English) *Available support: Telephone/interview consultation/Reference and accompaniment to hospital /Accompaniment to police STD Free Testing (with multilingual support ) http://www.foreign.city.shinjuku.lg.jp/en/kenko/kenko_10/ Schedule for the year 2020 http://www.city.shinjuku.lg.jp/content/000281487.pdf Also check: https://www.hivkensa.com/language/
  36. ← English 中文 → 36 Prepared for Earthquakes and other

    natural disaster Preparedness Tokyo Handbook 防灾手册 http://www.metro.tokyo.jp/english/guide/bosai/index.html JR-EAST Train Info Delay information, route search, route map, etc. http://www.jreast-app.jp/en/ Available in English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean Tokyo Metropolitan Disaster Reduction Map You can search for the temporary stay facility, shelters, evacuation areas, etc. https://map.bousai.metro.tokyo.lg.jp/en/pc/
  37. 37 UTokyo website on Disaster Prevention https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/life-safety-dp.html Earthquake prevention on

    Campus” slide is available http://kankyoanzen.adm.u-tokyo.ac.jp/data/prevention_slides.html (Japanese, English and Chinese version) UTokyo will provide information during times of disaster. Web https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ja/index.html (Japanese) Facebook https://www.facebook.com/UTokyo.emerg/ (English/Japanese) Twitter https://twitter.com/UTokyo_emerg/ (English/Japanese)
  38. 38 Monthly Expense ひと月の生活費 (From 2014 survey ) 家族同伴者 一人暮らし

    Scholarship and other financial aid See more information regarding financial aid https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/finance.html Tuition Exemptions https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/prospective-students/tuition_fees.html University Recommendation The university recommends the candidates selected through internal screening processes. Please contact your faculty /graduate school office if you would like to be candidate. Direct Application Students can apply directly to the foundations by themselves. List : https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/prospective-students/privateorg.html Scholarships for International Students offered by Private Organizations
  39. 39 Monthly Expense ひと月の生活費 (From 2014 survey ) 家族同伴者 一人暮らし

    Budgeting Average of Monthly Payment of UTokyo Students (UTokyo international students survey, as of 2014) All (N=584) Single student Living with family Total living expenses (except school fee) ¥133,500 ($111) ¥124,100 ($103) ¥193,300 ($1,610) Food ¥43,300 ($360) ¥40,300 ($335) ¥62,500 ($520) Rent (Private apartment) ¥61,400 ($511) ¥58,800 ($490) ¥74,750 ($622) Utility ¥11,200 ($93) ¥10,000 ($83) ¥18,400 ($153) Transportation ¥7,600 ($63) ¥6,600 ($55) ¥14,400 ($120)
  40. 40 Part-Time Job Obtain permission to engage in part time

    job (at Immigration bureau if you have not gotten one at the airport when you first entry to Japan) 28 hours/week (8hours/day, during long holiday) Minimum wage per hour in Tokyo 1,013yen (as of July 2019) NOTE -You are not able to engage in a part-time job after you graduate from university, even though your college student visa and the permission (to do a part-time job) is not expired. -Some scholarship /grant may not allow you to engage in part time job -Make sure of your working condition https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/life-daily-pj.html
  41. 41 Information and Support for family members Support available for

    your family member in Japan https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/life-daily-fa.html University Nursery https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/kyodo-sankaku/en/nurseries/index.html Handbook for students who are planning to stay with their family members are available at Go Global Center Support Desk. Please contact ISSR Support Desk for more information.
  42. 4 Networking 42 4 Networking

  43. Finding a partner and meeting students on campus ISSR Language

    Exchange Program for UTokyo students Register at ISSR Support Desk at Go Global Center and find your partner. https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/life-interact-ac-le.html Conversation Club in Chinese / Go Global Center Date: 1st & 3rd Monday 12:10-13:00 2nd & 4th Wednesday 12:10-13:00 https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/life-interact-ac-other.html International Lounge /On the second floor of Starbucks in Engineering Building #11 https://www.jlcse.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/activities/icyou/ Fridays 12:10-13:00 Networking opportunities For more details, check https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/life-interact-ac.html Or receive information via ISSR email news 43
  44. 44  ISSR FACE (Friendship And Cultural Exchange) Program Register

    at Go Global Center Support Desk *Basic conversational Japanese required https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/life-interact-ac-face.html  ISSR Hongo Japanese Conversation Monday Club Every Monday afternoon at Admin bldg. 2 *No Japanese language level required for participation https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/life-interact-ac-other.html Meeting local Japanese people to practice Japanese and understand Japanese society.
  45. International Student Associations https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/life-interact-isa.html Student clubs and circles https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/life-interact-sc.html https://www.a103.net/ori/2020/visitor/en

    University festivals May festival (Hongo campus) May 16(Sat),17(Sun), 2020 https://www.facebook.com/mayfestival.jp Komaba festival (End of Nov.) Student Clubs and Activities 45
  46. 46 UTokyo Alumni Associations Join the global alumni network !

    Home > Alumni > UTokyo Alumni Association > Alumni Associations
  47. Register now! We send you useful information every other Thursdays

    ISSR Email newsletters for International Students https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/support-mm.html 47