le digital en main!
“Il faut concentrer ses
forces pour être
conquérant dans la guerre
digitale de notre monde
Automated software factory
Source : https://hbr.org/2018/03/why-so-many-high-proﬁle-digital-transformations-fail
• No managers should view digital — or any other
major technological innovation — as their sure
• Digital is not just a thing that you can you can
buy and plug into the organization. It is multi-
faceted and diﬀuse, and doesn’t just involve
• It’s important to calibrate your digital
investments to the readiness of your industry —
both customers and competitors.
• When things are not going so well in the existing
business, the call of a new business model can
become more powerful than it should.
Progress due to sustaining
Performance demanded at
the high end of the market
Performance demanded at
the low end of the market
Innovator’s dilemma - Summary
• Disruptive technology is developed inside established firms.
• Marketing people poll existing customers. Management shelves project.
• Established firms improve existing products.
• New companies form. New markets are created for new products. Frustrated
defectors from established firms start new companies.
• New entrants move upmarket.
• Established firms jump on the bandwagon late. “The most formidable barrier is that
they did not want to do this.”
Marketing people poll
Management shelves project
New companies form
It is cross-disciplinary, cross-
functional communication that
allows the development of unusual
combinations of ideas that lead to
imagination and creativity.
From agile to Agile
“There is a big difference between
Methodology and methodology. Small m
methodology is a basic approach one
takes to getting a job done….
Big M Methodology is an attempt to
centralize thinking. All meaningful
decisions are made by the Methodology
builders, not by the staff assigned to.”
Principles behind the Agile Manifesto
• Our highest priority is to satisfy the customer
through early and continuous delivery
of valuable software.
• Welcome changing requirements, even late in
development. Agile processes harness change for
the customer's competitive advantage.
• Deliver working software frequently, from a
couple of weeks to a couple of months, with a
preference to the shorter timescale.
• Business people and developers must work
together daily throughout the project.
• Build projects around motivated individuals.
Give them the environment and support they need,
and trust them to get the job done.
• The most eﬃcient and eﬀective method of
conveying information to and within a development
team is face-to-face conversation.
• Working software is the primary measure of progress.
• Agile processes promote sustainable development.
The sponsors, developers, and users should be able
to maintain a constant pace indeﬁnitely.
• Continuous attention to technical excellence
and good design enhances agility.
• Simplicity--the art of maximizing the amount
of work not done--is essential.
• The best architectures, requirements, and designs
emerge from self-organizing teams.
• At regular intervals, the team reﬂects on how
to become more eﬀective, then tunes and adjusts
its behavior accordingly.
“People perform better when they’re trying something new”
“To allow the Hawthorne Effect to work for you, you have to
make nonstandard approaches the rule”
• “If you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it” - your boss
• “Anything you need to quantify can be measured in some
way that is superior to not measuring it at all.” - Gilb’s law
• “A story point is an abstract measure of effort required to
implement a user story.”
“Whenever the number of uninterrupted hours is a reasonably
high proportion of total hours, up to approximately 40%, then
the environment is allowing people to get into flow when they
need to. Much lower numbers imply frustration and reduced
E-Factor = Uninterrupted Hours/Body-Present Hours
Productivity when people leave
• Shall the dev team’s collaboration tool be the same than the
• Why should you use other people’s tools?
• Who has chosen your source code management tool? Does
this person use it?
• Was developer effectiveness the main criteria for the choice?
Gross salary €50 000.00
Charges €21 000.00
Working days 220
Hours per day 8
Hourly cost €40.34
• Give them metrics, your metrics
• Get development time back
• Cut down meetings, stop ceremonials
• Understand your business, but also meet the business
• Bring your partners in your tool