An Introduction talk about Google Cloud Functions done at GDGJohannesburg
Introduction to Cloud Functions
What is Cloud Functions?
● Serverless Environment (Backend Code)
● Code as infrastructure
Why Cloud Functions?
● Auto Scaling up and down based on load
● Pay as you go
● Authenticated access to Firebase and Google Services (ML/ NLP)
● Fully managed system
How does it work?
Built on express, which is a node web
● Http endpoints
● Handles firebase event.
Cloud Functions Integration
● Http Endpoints
● Firebase host for dynamic serving of content
● Cloud pub/sub
● Firebase Auth,Cloud Messaging, Analytics ,Cloud Storage, RT Database ,
$ firebase serve --only functions, hosting (Https endpoint functions)
$ firebase experimental: functions : shell --port 11111 ( function triggers- Firebase)
Running on CI/CD