In these times of operational excellence and agility, it really is mandatory to understand the opportunities presented by Windows Azure – and the cloud in general. We typically use our skills to improve our customer’s business domain, but who is going to improve the way we work? We can develop for the cloud, but why not use the cloud for development? What if development teams would act like a startup or open source project and just use Everything-as-a-Service?
In this session, I will explain and demonstrate how the cloud can enable us to improve the way we build software.
A Story of Continuous Improvement
Cloud Development with a SaaS of SaaS
2 kinds of
Some work smarter,
others work harder…
Who’s most productive?
Who’s the happiest?
Microsoft MVP for Visual Studio ALM
Author of Pro NuGet (Apress)
Focus on Cloud/ALM
• Cloud Adoption
• Cloud & Software Development
– Challenges & Opportunities
– Developing Soft-where?
– A SaaS of SaaS
• Business Impact
• Q & A
Driving a (r)evolution?
“A style of computing in which scalable and elastic IT-enabled
capabilities are delivered “as a service” using Internet
technologies” – Gartner
Drivers for Cloud Adoption: Buzzword Lottery
devices connectivity interoperability globalization
social real time BYOD
mobility IoT NWOW
DevOps agility entrepreneurship Lean startups collaboration
innovation platform thinking
change profitability affordability
Cloud Adoption in Software Development
• All on-premises software is “suffering” from competition
in the cloud.
– On-premises software is patched/serviced … later
– Mobile-first, cloud-first world
• Not only web sites can be cloud-enabled!
SMB’s & Cloud Adoption
Are these your customers
It’s All About
Creating and having
a sustainable business
in a Mobile-first, Cloud-first world
Reduce Noise & Shorten Feedback Loops
• Knowledge networks
– B2C, B2B
– Cross-Team Cross-Discipline Collaboration
– Communities & Social networks
• Connected systems
– Embedded/Portable devices
Cloud services are designed for
Automation is key
• Don’t do it for the sake of automation
– Automation != Generation (of docs, code, specs, …)
– Not meant to reduce human interaction, on the contrary!
• Reduce waste and increase value
– Automate infrastructure provisioning
– Automate builds
– Automate test execution
– Automate deployments/releases
– Focus more on solving the problem at hand!
Automation can be hard
Are you sure you want to build
those things all by yourself?
Dev vs Ops
The cloud brings benefits to DevOps
– Longer Wait Times
– Higher Infrastructure Costs
– Lower Developer Productivity
• Developers use VMs
• IT-Admin provisions VMs and
In the Cloud
– Shorter Wait Times
– Lower Infrastructure Costs
– Higher Developer Productivity
• Developer provisions & uses VMs
• IT-Admin manages environment
Your Data Center
Improve your way of
Yes you can!
Ever felt like this?
Frustrated Developer’s Syndrome
Caused by artificial constraints imposed by upper
Affects entire organization!
• decision making
• corporate culture
• efficiency & productivity
• developer happiness
About Developer Happiness
• Get out of our zone!
• Remove friction or ceremony
• Reduce waste
• We can do stuff: trust!
• We have resources: enable!
We all want the same thing: provide a quality solution for
the problem at hand as efficiently as possible!
MSDN Subscribers Listen Up!
Use your MSDN Subscription!
• Only pay for what you use (by the minute)
• MSDN comes with up to 115€ Azure benefits / month!
– Or 1 Free Medium VM 24/7
– Or 2 Free Small VMs 24/7
– Or 1 Free Large VM 8hrs/day
+ margin for bandwidth, storage, …
• Includes Visual Studio Online!
Visual Studio Online
• You OWN your dev
• Continuous delivery!
• Work anywhere anytime!
• Use dev tools of choice
• YOU own your dev
• How to deal with
• Be aware of policies!
– Data storage
– Availability (DEV = PROD!)
Start with a SaaS of SaaS
Build – Measure – Learn
- Version Control
- Continuous Delivery
- Package Management
- Issue Tracking
- Customer Feedback
SaaS is beautiful!
Zooming in on a SaaS example: MyGet
• Accelerated change
– Introduction of NuGet
– Many .NET open source projects are available on NuGet.org
• 2 consultants had an itch to scratch:
– Some customers wanted to use NuGet internally and control access to packages
– We wanted to play with new tech!
– And we had access to beer…
• How can we solve this?
– Without repetitive work
– With minimal risk or financial investments
– With only our knowledge and some spare time
We ended up with this…
How Would You Build YOUR Software Products?
• We REDUCE FRICTION
• Because we are developers
– Lean Startup Principles
– Lean ALM
Transforming your business to the cloud
Cloud is a Disruptive Technology
Transforming Your Business To The Cloud
• From products to services (*aaS)
Freemium? Prepaid? Pay-per-use?
• From Pipe-thinking to Platform-thinking
Bootstrapping your Minimum Viable Product
Network Effects & Growth Hacking
APIs & Marketplaces are key
ecosystem ingredients and
enable co-creation of value!
From Information to Innovation Technology
• Accelerated Change
“If the rate of change on the outside exceeds the rate of change on
the inside, the end is near.” – Jack Welch
Entrepreneurs have the benefit of ownership
• Innovation is not a Manufacturing Pipeline!
You need a responsive organization
The Responsive Organization
Extrinsic Awards Intrinsic Motivation
Office & Office Hours Anytime & Anywhere
Customers & Partners Community
Big or small, this is happening!
• Cloud adoption is accelerating
– Change before you have to
• Reduce waste, increase value
– Automation & human interaction are key
– You should take ownership of your development environment!
• Disruptive technology & business models are here now!
– Continuously Improve: Build, measure, learn
– Think in terms of platforms & service ecosystems
– Build on network effects
A big thank you to our sponsors
Silver & Track Partners