MadridDevOps January 2015 Meeting: "DevOps 101, one intro to devops"
Madrid, January 22, 2015
An introduction to DevOps in 2015, its IT culture, definitions, trends, ...
Madrid DevOps 101
Antonio Peña @apenav for @MadridDevops
January 2015 http://madrid.devops.es
● reinvigorate the group
● talking about devops
● DevOps 101
● About DevOps
○ About Madrid DevOps
○ What does DevOps mean in 2015?
○ Crisis of DevOps term
○ Some informed opinions
● DevOps In Spain
● About DevOps
An introductory course (USA universities) (one-
State of the art of DevOps Madrid
“DevOps will require a lot of sales
work to get the right parts of
enterprise on board.”
● What Crisis?
● Crisis of DevOps Term
● Just continue learning
● Read even more books
DevOps in 2015
● Informal Community. No methodology
● Compare w/Libre Software in its first stages.
● Form an opinion, trust technicians not
companies (Seth Vargo / Katherine Daniels)
● Just try to use it. You’ll never understand it
unless you do
Seth Vargo (I)
● Not a development methodology or
● DevOps as an Ideology
● Configuration Management is for sysadmins
Seth Vargo (II)
DevOps is about collaboration and
communication toward a common goal, not a
particular technology or task.
DevOps is for everybody, even for e.g.
Marketing with another Department
Seth Vargo (and III)
● It is a way to facilitate organizational
prosperity and growth while increasing each
individual employee's happiness along the
● Increasingly Popular, so industry's fallacies
● Original definition of DevOps and new
Seth Vargo’s 10 myths (I)
● #1 - You can hire a “DevOp” to fix your
● #2 - DevOps is the panacea for all your
● #3 - You can be certified in DevOps
Seth Vargo’s 10 myths (II)
● #4 - DevOps is using
● #5 - DevOps is just for engineers and
● #6 - DevOps is going to conferences
● #7 - DevOps is using "the cloud"
Seth Vargo’s 10 myths (and III)
● #8 - DevOps is doing the same things as
● #9 - DevOps is using technologies like node.
js, Ruby, or Go instead of "old" technologies
like C, Scheme, or Java
● #10 - DevOps is just a fad like "Agile" or
● Get things done but don’t be a BOFH
● Culture >> Tools
@beerops / Devops as Empathy
72 % of IT Companies in Spain are thinking
about adopting DevOps
DevOps in Spain (I). Cultural challenges
● Which is the Company / IT Dept. Culture?
● DevOps Culture Adoption Strategy
● Embracing failure? Not always an option.
● Blameless PostMortems / retrospectives?
DevOps in Spain (II). Costs
● Spare servers available?
● What about Cloud?
● Making Tests?
● Testing Deployments?
DevOps in Spain (III). Looking for feedback
● Data center migration Strategies?
● How to Consolidate Data centers?
● If you repeat something more than N times, please
● How to migrate from one tool to another?
DevOps in Spain (and IV). Difficulties
Who really cares?
● Operations. How to integrate them?
○ Evolution not Revolution
● Logs, logs and more Logs
● Monitoring with traditional tools + Call Center
Devops / Configuration Management
/ Automatized Infrastructure
● To be shared
● To be iterated (idempotent)
● To be tested
● To be extracted to a Demo/new environment
One day I’ll learn about these
THANKS FOR YOUR