A short introduction to SwiftNIO for try! Swift San Jose 2018
SwiftNIO "good first issues": https://github.com/apple/swift-nio/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22good+first+issue%22
Chris Liscio's quote: https://twitter.com/liscio/status/994928153263927296
Swift-Nio on Swift-Arm: https://medium.com/@futurejones/swift-nio-on-swift-arm-1e20ba5a586e
Hello world: https://gist.github.com/chriseidhof/d22d249e32e7d2463d9b28410df59f5a
Making a date server: https://roundwallsoftware.com/making-a-date-server-with-swiftnio/
1 — @basthomas
application framework for high
performance protocol servers &
2 — @basthomas
What can you expect?
· The Swi!NIO team is here!
· Everything is happening on GitHub
· ... almost everything
· A lot of helpful documentation
· "Just" a library
· Semantic Versioning (Naming is Hard™)
· Header documentation and tests
· Builds on both macOS & Linux
· "Good first issues"
3 — @basthomas
What can you do today?
· A pull request is not the goal
· Make yourself comfortable & explore
· Browse recently merged (or open) pull requests
· Browse recent issues
· Read through the documentation
· Ask questions!
· Let people know about its existence
4 — @basthomas
The release of SwiftNIO is amazing for a
number of reasons, but my favourite thing
about it is that it serves as a fantastic
demonstration of Swift being used for
"systems programming." So much code there
to dig through, and learn from.
— Chris Liscio, https://twitter.com/liscio/status/994928153263927296
5 — @basthomas
Learn more & browse example projects
· Swi!-Nio on Swi!-Arm
· Hello world
· Making a date server
6 — @basthomas