ElasticSearch is a full text search engine based on Apache Lucene. It’s the new kid of the block and competes with other projects like Apache Solr. It is open source under the Apache Licence and backed by the (well funded) ElasticSearch company which offers support and training.
This talk will provide an introduction to ElasticSearch, the community around it and the lessons learned when working with ElasticSearch to index hundreds of millions of documents in a multitude of languages and character sets. The rough outline of the talk will be:
- Introduction to myself, Artirix and the work that we do.
- ElasticSearch introduction - Project background and interesting features.
- An introduction to the community and third party plugins.
- Quick overview of usage (inserting, querying) and the different versions.
- Lessons learned when creating a large index.