How to Scale Cloud Adoption
whilst building a world class
Developer Experience (DevEx)
Presented by: Hibri Marzook • Principal Consultant
Ruchir Sanghavi• Account Principal
Helps teams using ideas using technology.
Likes the challenge of using Public Cloud and
Continuous Delivery to help teams deliver at a sustainable
pace. Likes to use systems thinking to navigate the
challenges of complexity
Helps build a great engineering culture.
Has a passion for how Developer Experience can
accelerate Public Cloud Adoption to help teams adapt.
Advocate for adopting best engineering practices and
enabling transformation with a DevOps, Agile and Lean
What is DevEx?
Developer Experience (DevEx) point-of-view forces the organisation to focus on the
developer journey to optimise software delivery, and tackle productivity.
Look Ma! No hands
Who are the Devs in DevEx?
● Do you build the platform?
● Do you build on top of the platform?
● Do you operate the platform?
● Do you build/run/own things that run on the
The Wall of Confusion
Impact of a poor DevEx
Developers will ﬁnd a workaround to help them deliver
Make it easier for devs to do the right thing, safely
1. Understand boundaries
Understand the boundaries
Understand Team Interactions
Build your shared responsibility model
Shared responsibility in action
2. Enable Continuous
Delivery by default
The Walking Skeleton
“A Walking Skeleton is a tiny implementation of
the system that performs a small end-to-end
function. It need not use the ﬁnal architecture,
but it should link together the main architectural
components. The architecture and the
functionality can then evolve in parallel”
Deploy all the way
to a Production
Get to Real Users Quicker. Only Prod Matters
Pay attention to ..
● Time spent on-boarding
● Time spent waiting between transitions to environments
● Cycle times
● Number of times a team has to interact with another team
3. Pay attention to
The Simplest Feedback Loop is a Conversation
Optimize Feedback Loops, Not Pipelines
4. Enable discovery,
visibility and self-service
Give Developers Visibility
● Don’t lock developers out of the Cloud Portals
● Provide sandboxes for devs to play around
● Read only access to production environments
● Access to metrics, alerts and non-sensitive logs
● Allow teams to make their own dashboards
Use developer portals
Scaling Cloud Adoption
What makes a Good DevEx?
● A good DevEx reduces the friction in using Cloud (and entire route-to-live!), in the context
of your org
● Encourages exploration of Cloud features
● Developers bring what they learn outside, into the org
● There is always a safe, fast path to deliver business value for end customers
Enabling Developers -The important bits
● Add guardrails - not roadblocks
● CI/CD - faster feedback loops
● Safe innovation space - trial and fail-fast
● QE Strategy - automation in testing
● Communities of Practice - culture of learning
● Start small - State of DevOps 2019: Templating methodology is one of the most
successful in Transformation
A good Developer Experience
creates an environment of
A good Developer Experience
reduces the cognitive load for a
Cochran, T. (2021) Maximizing Developer Effectiveness. Available at:
https://martinfowler.com/articles/developer-effectiveness.html (Accessed: January 11, 2021)
contino.io continohq contino