Code Anywhere In
Web based IDEs
● Modern browsers are getting more powerful.
● Standardization: HTML5, CSS3, more
● Remote editing of code has always existed.
○ Power users have been using SSH,
Vim/EMAC/nano & GNU Screen/TMUX sessions to
share screen & collaborate for years.
● Not easy to setup.
● Early attempts at bringing IDE to the web:
○ Cloud9 (https://c9.io/)
○ CodeAnywhere (https://codeanywhere.net/)
● No PHP support.
● Limited shell access.
● Not ready for complex & modern MVC
New Kids on the Block
● Koding (https://koding.com/)
● Nitrous.io (https://www.nitrous.io/)
○ Creates a new virtual machine for your dev env.
○ Web based code editing tool.
○ Full shell access (sometimes sudo access too).
○ Web preview with sub-domain.
○ Collaboration tools.