In this 30 minute session, we will explore the projects we have been working on with Contributor Experience and the future work we have on deck. We will provide an update to the following projects and have information on how to get involved.
SIG Contributor Experience
What is the Kubernetes Community
#1 OSS project by developer activity*
#2 project by Pull Requests*
Community Stats (Aug 2020)
Org Members 1,179
Pull Requests 166,425~
* As of 2020-02-25 - Ref: CNCF Velocity Report
Confidential │ ©2020 VMware, Inc.
Who are we?
Who are we?
● GitHub Admins
● Stream Team
● “Community Managers”
What we do
“The Contributor Experience Special Interest Group (SIG) is responsible for
improving the experience of those who upstream contribute to the Kubernetes
project. We do this by creating, and maintaining programs and processes that
promote community health and reduce project friction, while retiring those
programs and processes that don't. Being conscientious of our contributor base is
critical to scaling the project, growing the ecosystem, and helping the project
- SIG Contributor Experience Charter
First things ﬁrst
How we do it...subprojects
● Community - Owns and manages overall community repo, including community group
documentation and operations.
● Community Management - Manages operations and policy for upstream community group
● Contributor Documentation - Writes and maintains documentation around contributing to
Kubernetes, including the Contributor's Guide, Developer's Guide, and contributor website.
● Devstats - Maintains and updates https://k8s.devstats.cncf.io, including taking requests for new
How we do it...subprojects
● Events - Creates and runs contributor-focused events, such as the Contributor Summit. Event
Teams are part of this subproject.
● GitHub Management - Manages and controls Github permissions, repos, and groups, including
● K8s.io - Creates and maintains shortcuts and automation apps running in the k8s.io domain.
● Mentoring - Oversees and develops programs for helping contributors ascend the contributor
ladder, including the New Contributor Workshops, Meet Our Contributors, and other programs.
● Slack Infra - Creates and maintains tools and automation for Kubernetes Slack.
● Mailing Lists and Calendars
○ All SIGs have public meetings with notes on the community calendar
○ Join the list of the thing you’re interested in
○ Check out youtube.com/kubernetescommunity
○ Stream team is looking for more members, speciﬁcally on the West Coast US
“The last remnants of the old republic
are being swept away ...eventually”
● Community Repo
○ OWNERs of github.com/kubernetes/community
○ “Meta of the meta” - governance documentation, election procedures, values.md, anything
steering wants us to oversee or janitorialize.
○ TLDR: Keep your clients up to date
○ Community forum with related k8s topics
○ Always looking, especially APAC.
● Team was established late last year and has grown signiﬁcantly!
● Launched a communication framework to provide clear and regular updates.
● Wrote multiple blog posts on SIGs that resulted in new contributors! (Editorial board)
● New Contributor Twitter account launched -
Community Mgmnt Upstream Marketing?
● Scope and release of a message
● Simplify our issue template based on
● Continue community group blog series.
● “Living documents”
● Contributor Guide
● Developer Guide
○ Currently undergoing a signiﬁcant
● Contributor Site
○ Publish contributor guide, community
calendar, release information and more.
○ Launch targeting end of August
● Toolset to visualize GitHub archives
(GitHub events) using Grafana
● Revisiting all the boards and
sections with the mindset of how
they can used by leads.
● Ping Lauri Apple (@LappleApple) if
● Contributor Summits during KubeCon :(
○ Currently on hiatus due to world events, more to
○ Potentially going to host virtual event.
● Upcoming Steering Committee election
○ Announcement will be sent to kubernetes-dev
● Kubernetes Oﬃce Hours
● Manages and controls Github permissions, repos, and groups, including Org
● GitHub Org Clean up is done \o/
○ Community Membership Guidelines have been updated to support off-boarding members
○ Members with NO activity across any of the Kubernetes Orgs for 18 months will be removed
and asked to go through org membership process again
● Kubernetes-incubator should be retired by the end of August
● Upcoming: Pruning inactive repos in the Kubernetes org
Mentoring Prereq - The ladder
- Set priorities and approve proposals for subproject
- Responsibility and leadership for entire
Approver - Approve contributions for acceptance
- Highly experienced reviewer and contributor in
Reviewer - History of reviewing; reviews frequently
- Authorship in subproject
Member - Active contributor to the project
- Sponsored by two Reviewers
● Programs / Initiatives:
○ Meet our Contributors - AMA with current contributors
○ Group Mentoring Cohorts - Semi-structured group mentoring initiative with a small group of
○ Shadow Programs (Building Teams) - Scalable apprenticeship program
○ 1:1 Hour - Pair with someone in the ecosystem
○ Google Summer of Code (GSoC) - Internship program
○ Outreachy Internships - Internship Program
○ New Contributor Workshop - more on this in a bit
ESSENTIAL TO OVERALL PROJECT HEALTH
Mentoring - New Contributor Workshop
● Formerly an all day workshop hosted as a
part of the Contributor Summits
● Being reworked to be piecemeal and targeted
towards online only
● Looking for volunteers to help present and
● Slack tooling has enabled us to manage a 100k user
Slack (thanks Katharine~)
○ Connecting github to #announcements so people can
○ Channel-level moderation
Related Working Groups
● WG Naming
○ We have a new WG working with SIG Contribex!
○ We are working with GitHub for their roadmap on renaming the default branch on repos to
How you can Contribute
Getting involved...the SIG Meeting
● Every SIG/WG/UG has regularly
● All meetings are uploaded to the
Kubernetes Community YouTube
● SIG ContribEx Mailing List
...sometimes we have random hat days too!
Tips on your ﬁrst SIG Meeting
● Find a buddy
● Volunteer to take notes
● Attend regularly
● Small, dependable contributions > volunteering for the world
● SIGs should have a list of “good ﬁrst issues” for you to chew on,
if they don’t then … start with issue triaging
There are non-code related paths available
Where to ﬁnd us
● Technical Leads
● Home page: README link
● Slack channel: https://kubernetes.slack.com/messages/sig-contribex
● List: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/kubernetes-sig-contribex