In recent years you may have found yourself hearing more and more about this trendy topic of “functional programming", from a bunch of excited coders enthusiastically gushing about how it helps them write elegant, modular code that's easier to test, debug, and reason about. If you're like me, you may have started wondering:
- What is functional programming anyway, and why are people so excited about it?
- What does functional code look like? How is it different from imperative or OO code?
- What tools do I need to write functional programs? Do I have to learn Haskell? (spoiler alert: no!)
If you too have been asking yourself questions like these, please join me in this friendly, practical exploration of functional programming fundamentals.
Follow along with the workshop materials: https://github.com/vakila/functional-workshop
- NgTalks 2018: https://ngtalks.io/workshops/first-steps-into-functional-programming
- GOTO Copenhagen 2018: https://gotocph.com/2018/workshops/124