A brief introduction to GoBuffalo, the Go web development ecosystem, designed to make your life easier. From my talk given at GoSheffield, March 5th 2020.
Going Quickly with GoBuﬀalo
GoSheﬀield 5th March 2020
Hi, I’m Will Gough.
- Remote Software Engineer @ Utility Warehouse
- Writing Go professionally for ~2 years.
Time for a demo app built speciﬁcally
for the GoSheﬀ meetup
➔ Building the application
A review of the steps taken to produce
the demo application
Some reﬂections to leave you with…
Who’s heard of GoBuﬀalo
What is it?
- Buﬀalo CLI
- Development workflow with Hot Code
- Frontend pipeline e.g Webpack & yarn as
- ORM (Pop)
- Support for background tasks/workers
“A Go web development ecosystem, designed to
make your life easier”
“You don’t need a framework”
Creating the application...
Make the ‘Meetup’
Make the ‘Pizza’
Make the ‘PizzaRequest’
GoBuﬀalo (via Pop)
- One to One
- One to Many
- Many to Many
Putting the Pizza in PizzaRequest
Tying the PizzaRequest to the Pizza
Adding the Meetup to the PizzaRequest
Tying the PizzaRequests to the Meetup
Changing the templates
Updating the handlers
The magic method...
- Great for prototyping or shipping an
MVP/POC (these slides took twice as long
as the app)
- Ideal for building that new site your dad’s
friend wants really quick
- Contributors do a fantastic job with it and
are super helpful in the #buﬀalo channel
- It’s not yet v1
Thanks for listening!
If you have any questions, feel free
to ask them now or grab me
afterwards. I’ll do my best to
We’re hiring @