Slides from my workshop for the GDS team.
A practical introduction
If we don’t
We can engage
Peanuts, Charles Schulz
story ever told
by one person
The magic of
for kids –
(A.K.A: Bringing research
Test ideas with
What makes a
“…But I can’t
Drawing is not
It just takes
- Get into pairs
- Take it in turns to choose an emotion and
act it out, without using words
- Act out at least two different emotions
- Draw five circles/head shapes
- Add expressions on each face:
Start with sad on the left, and end with
happy on the right
- Draw two stick people standing next to
each other, showing different emotions
- The emotions should be opposites
5. Tidy up
Find a style
• We’re working for an ecommerce photography site called ‘The
• They sell lots of diﬀerent cameras and photography gear to a
variety of customers, though most of them are passionate
• They want to know how they can appeal to customers who don’t
consider themselves photographers and who spend less on
cameras (because there are a lot more of these people than the
• Before they commission a large piece of research, they want to see
what insight we can give about this audience.
• We need to quickly create a comic that shares some of the
problems and potenDal soluDons The Camera Shop could provide
to laymen photographers.
Finding an idea
Via the Money Saving Expert forum
What’s going on
• ‘Bob’ wants to buy a new compact camera.
• He has shopped around, but has been
overwhelmed by the variety and choice of
• He doesn’t want a lot of fancy features, but he
does care about the image quality.
• He has up to £100 to spend.
• He is looking for help to make a decision.
Making the story
• Bob wants to buy a new camera because his current one
has broken. He wants to replace his camera before he goes
• He has looked on several websites, but has been
overwhelmed by the choice. He needs help to reﬁne
appropriate cameras into a more manageable shortlist, or
even to ﬁnd the best one for him.
• The site or app needs to allow him to control his searching
and browsing so he can manage the volume of results. It
needs to give him choice but not overwhelm him.
• He needs to be able to look at cameras based on their size
(he wants it to be compact), their image quality (it needs to
take nice pictures) and its price (it must be under £100).
1. Introduce Bob
2. Bob’s camera has
3. Bob looks for cameras
4. Bob gets
5. Bob ﬁnds The Camera
6. Bob ﬁnds ‘The
Compact Camera’ ﬁnder
7. Bob ﬁlters compact
cameras by price and
8. Bob ﬁnds a camera he
is interested in
9. Bob browses photos
taken with the camera
10. Bob feels saPsﬁed
and purchases the
Ordon District NHS Trust
The Nightingale University Hospital,
Redmill (has A&E, others don’t)
Karen lives with her two children (Sophie,
4, and Jack, 2). During the week, her
partner Mark works away from home.
They recently moved to Redmill, and are
still settling in.
Her closest family members live a two
hour drive away.
One Monday afternoon, Karen and the
kids are in the garden, enjoying the sun.
At 3pm Jack falls over and hits his head.
A bump appears.
Karen takes Jack and Sophie in doors.
He wont stop crying. She becomes
Sophie starts to get scared and upset.
At 3:30pm Karen decides to take Jack to
the hospital, she knows there’s one
nearby, but she’s not sure where it is.
Karen uses her PC laptop to search for
Once she’s found the right hospital, she
puts its postcode into her phone which
has a sat-nav app on it.
Other things to consider:
There are two hospitals near her postcode,
only one has an A&E department.
There are road works near the hospital.
The hospital car park is pay and display.
There are limited parent and child parking
spaces at the North entrance.
There is a shop and café at the hospital
which close at 5pm. Sophie and Jack usually
eat at 5:30pm.
How do we
turn this into
4 5 6
1: Plan the story 2: Design the characters 3: PracPce the character’s
4: Draw the comic 5: Get feedback 6: Reﬁne the comic
What have you
Brush textures for Photoshop created by Alex Dukal: h#p://circograﬁco.com.ar/shop/
Key points to
Speak to users
as often as
Make it easy for
Wait for ink to
using an eraser