Companion slides for the "Fearless Joins" talk: https://hasgeek.com/rootconf/just-enough-sql-to-be-effective/
Warning: May not be very effective on their own.
If you work with SQL, you invariably come across questions like:
- What is a lateral join?
- When do I pick what kind of join?
- Rectangular join? What?
- What happens if you mix inner and outer joins together?
With simple practical examples, and visual representation of the joins, we will cover:
- Why is it called a join and what exactly does it mean?
- The concepts behind “inner/outer” and “left/right” and how DB engines determine which rows will be in ResultSet.
- The technique of “one at a time” in building large, complex joins.