We are experiencing a revolution of technology, and the Internet of Things (IoT) is at the core of it. Apache Software Foundation, Eclipse, the Linux Foundation and Fiware, four of the main actors in Open Source, have put in place their own IoT architectures powered by different Open Source projects. In this talk, we take a step back and look at the communities behind these projects. The goal is to uncover collaboration and community behaviors within each ecosystem and possible crossover between communities. The project uses activity and community analysis based on the data extracted from Git and Github issue trackers using the open source GrimoireLab platform. Let’s take a look together at the open source IoT landscape and discuss afterwards what this means for the future of IoT.
IoT Projects in
A report based on community data
Matt Cantu Snell,
Communications and DEI Expert
Effect of the pandemic on IoT open source projects
2018 - 2020 2020 - 2022
IoT Open Source
● OS & virtualization
OS & Virtualization Processing Framework
Platform Protocol Application
Integration Fog Ecosystem
● Every project provides
● The categories help us
understand the value
Top Projects by Category
Category Leading Foundation
OS & Virtualization Linux Foundation
Framework Linux Foundation
Processing Apache Software Foundation
Persistence Apache Software Foundation
Integration/gateway Fiware & Eclipse Foundation
Platform Eclipse Foundation
Application Eclipse Foundation
Protocol Eclipse Foundation
Fog Eclipse Foundation
Foundations and organizations
● Organizations focus on one
foundation at a time
● This practice causes strong
bonds between partners
● It can also hinder
● Silos built from strong business
● Little cross-collaboration between
foundations in git contributions
● This could be improved
IoT Open Source is
Contribution Trends with Foundations
Projects with Foundation Support
● More stable and resilient
● Hit harder by lockdown
● Zephyr is the leader
● Apache Camel is growing
● New player: NuttX
● Leading its category (OS)
● Many organizations are active
● Steady stream of commits
● Substantial growth over 2 years
The Zephyr Project
Zephyr is strong despite the pandemic
2018 - 2020 2020 - 2022
How was it done?
● Dashboard made with Bitergia Analytics
○ GrimorieLab FLOSS toolset for software development analytics.
○ Part of CHAOSS, a Linux Foundation project:
It’s no secret!
The metrics and categories stay the same,
but the data is refreshed
Valerio Cosentino Álvaro del Castillo
Explore the data
● Ask Bitergia as needed
● Access dashboard:
Hopeful for the future
We have already overcome!
● The work is still happening
● The projects are still growing
● The future looks bright for open source IoT
Gut check - does the data make sense?
● Gut check - does the data make sense?
● How can we make cross-connections?
● Can data help you with these issues?
Matt Cantu Snell