LA R Users Group
January 20, 2015
• Software engineer at RStudio, Inc.
• Shiny creator and now co-maintainer (along with
Winston Chang and Yihui Xie)
• Building websites since 1995
• Almost no stats background
R is a powerful platform for data analysis
• State of the art statistical power
• Excellent for visualization
• Large and enthusiastic community
• A personal experience, not a shared one
• Output is usually in static formats
• Modern visualization is interactive, browser-
What is Shiny?
• Interactive web applications around your R
• …but fully customizable and extensible with
What is Shiny?
• Modern web UI with attractive defaults, but also
• Uses a reactive programming model which
allows dramatically simpler code than traditional
UI or web programming
Can R do ____?
• "It's possible, but never been done before."
• "Try this snippet I found on GitHub / r-bloggers /
Stack Overﬂow / Google groups / r-help."
• "Use one of these six CRAN packages (two of
which are by Hadley)."
Can Shiny do ____?
• Road: "Try this snippet from GitHub / r-bloggers /
Stack Overﬂow / google groups / r-help."
• Interstate: "Use this package." / "That's a built-in
feature of Shiny."
• Encourage community development of high-
D3 visualizations (htmlwidgets)
• Build our own widget packages for high-impact
• Lower the expertise bar for making great looking
apps (shinythemes, shinydashboard)
• Get inspired. http://shiny.rstudio.com/gallery
• Get started. http://shiny.rstudio.com/tutorial
• Go deeper. http://shiny.rstudio.com/articles
• Need help? Google "shiny-discuss"