In this masterclass, Ably’s Developer Advocate, Srushtika Neelakantam, spoke about the basics of IoT and the realtime communication protocol these devices like to use i.e. MQTT.
She then demonstrated a realtime attendance system for Slack that could
• Detect the use of an entry keycard
• Publish this info in realtime to an Ably channel
• Ably, in turn, pinged Zapier
• Zapier, in turn, published this info on a Slack channel.
The links from the 7th slide are listed below:
1. Adafruit Feather HUZZAH ESP866 - https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-feather-huzzah-esp8266/overview
2. MFRC522 RFID sensor - https://playground.arduino.cc/Learning/MFRC522/
3. Breadboard (Optional) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breadboard
4. Jump wires - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breadboard#Jump_wires
1. The Arduino IDE - https://www.arduino.cc/en/main/software
2. An account with Ably (free or paid) - https://www.ably.io/signup
3. An account with Zapier (free or paid) - https://zapier.com/
4. An account with Slack (free or paid) - https://slack.com/intl/en-gb/
Feel free to reach out to Srushtika via Twitter for any questions or concerns.