A presentation by John Turner of SeedProd (http://seedprod.com) on the Business of WordPress - Exploring the emerging WordPress Economy
The Business of
Exploring the emerging WordPress Economy
Who am I?
Developer → Marketer → Bootstrap
Ultimate Coming Soon Page Plugin
Ultimate Maintenance Mode Plugin
Why listen to me?
● 15 years in web development
● 6 years WordPress development
● Built a variety of products in various
languages: asp, asp.net, cold fusion, php,
● Lots of failures
● Author of the Coming Soon Pro plugin.
● Hosted verticals: wordpress.com, happy
tables, restaurant engine, wedding, small
● Hosted services: Managed Hosting,
Security, Backup, SEO, WordPress Valet,
Manage WP, WP101.com
● Themes: WooThemes, StudioPress, Elegant
● Plugins: Gravity Forms, WooCommerce,
Coming Soon Pro
How do people make money with
● 62 Million WordPress Sites
● 20-25% of new site are WordPress
● As of 2011, over 100,000 new WordPresses
are created every day.
● 17% of the the top 1 Million Websites
● 120 plus languages
source: http://yoast.com/wordpress-stats/ and
Who are the users of WordPress and
who can we sell to?
● Do-it-yourself end users
● Fortune 5 Million
● WordPress Assemblers
● Theme and Plugin Developers
How much money can you make?
● WooThemes 2 Million per year 2010
● Kresi 2 Million
● SEO Smart Links $80,000
● Nivo Slider $200,000 16 months
How do I get started research ideas?
● Scratch your own itch.
● Sell something you've already made or a
● Look at the WP.org forums.
● Look the through the plugins repo.
● Look at themes.
● Look at current services.
● Niche Products
Validate your idea!
● Ask People
● WordPress Forums
● Build a simple plugin or theme and release it
● Sell it before you build it.
Executing your idea
1. Build it yourself
2. Hire someone
● 99 Desings
Sales Site and Accept Payments
● Build it yourself
● Easy Digital Downloads
● Marketplace: Themeforest, Codecanyon,
Traffic and the Math
Say you want to make $1000 per month
You need to make an average $33 per day
Product Price $49 ~ 0.7 or 20 units per month.
Total Conversions/Total Views X 100 = Conversion Rate
20/ ? = 0.02
Pricing your product
● One Time Payment / 1 Year Duration /
Recurring / Per site Packages
● Membership Site
Marketing your product
● SEO organic and in the repo
● Release free version
● Blog Post
● Contact Bloggers and Affiliate Marketer
● Sponsor and speak at WordPress events
● Mailing lists, niche advertising, social media,
video sharing, partnerships, and podcast
Measure results, rinse and repeat
● Google Analytics Ecommerce Tracking
● A/B Testing: Optimizley
● Advanced Metrics: KissMetrics
Supporting your product
● Don't use just email
Support metrics is a key to making future
pricing and product decisions.
"People are happy to pay for things that are
good. Don’t be afraid to charge for your
services." Jason Fried
● Heinemeier Hansson at Startup School 08
● Kissmetrics Blog
● Start Small Stay Small / Microprenuer
Academy - Rob Walling
● Unicorn Free - Amy Hoy
Find me at: