This is part of a full day Serverless training I hosted for Microsoft Turkey in Istanbul introducing Azure Functions as a Serverless Platform.
Serverless and Azure
Serverless architectures refer to applications that
significantly depend on third-party services (knows as
Backend as a Service or "BaaS") or on custom code
that's run in ephemeral containers (Function as a
Service or "FaaS")
What is Serverless?
• The real dream of PAAS
• No Infrastructure, No Containers
• Scalable as hell!
• Granular Billing (GB/s)
• No commitment, no hardware provisioning (really?)
What’s wrong with containers?
• Containers are the new VMs!
• Server Patching > Container Image Batching
• Container Orchestration is hard.
Serverless != Microservices
• You can have a fleet of EC2 instances, running containers,
orchestrating and still worry about infrastructure.
• You can have dozens of functions tightly coupled and
delivered as a behemoth.
Azure Functions 101
• Timer-based processing
• SaaS Event Processing
• Full Serverless Architecture
• Real-Time Stream Processing
• Real-Time Bot Messaging
• Serverless mobile back-ends
Creating our first “Hello World” function!
Out of the Box Authentication of
• Function Key
• Host Key
Anatomy of a Function
• A “Run” file that containing the function code
• A “Function” file containing all service and trigger bindings and
• A “Project” file containing project assembly and NuGet
• App Service settings, such as connection strings and API keys
Running Functions Locally
V1 Only on Windows
npm install -g azure-functions-core-tools
V2 with .NET Core on all platforms
npm install -g azure-functions-core-tools@core
Initialize your first function
func init MyFunctionProj
Precompiled functions with C# and Visual Studio
• local.settings.json will have all your local settings on
the dev machine.
• C# can also be read in your code as environment variables.
Where can I deploy my Functions?
• Extend the existing Azure App Service platform
• Go with “Consumption Plan” and be pure Serverless
• Deploy Functions Runtime on an on-prem location in your
Links worth sharing
Azure Functions Runtime (Run on-prem)
Documentation for the host.json file
More CLI commands to run functions locally
http://daron.me | @daronyondem
Download slides here;