This is a presentation I used during a couple of the Google Developer Groups DevFest events during December 2019.
Serverless architectures refer to applications that
significantly depend on third-party services (knows as
Backend as a Service or "BaaS") or on custom code
that's run in ephemeral containers (Function as a
Service or "FaaS")
• The real dream of PAAS
• No Infrastructure, No Containers (seriously?)
• Scalable as hell!
• Granular Billing (GB/s, GHz-Second)
• No commitment, no hardware provisioning (c’mon?)
• Containers are the new VMs!
• Server Patching > Container Image Batching
• Container Orchestration is hard.
• What if I have my dependencies though?
• You can have a fleet of EC2 instances, running containers,
orchestrating and still worry about infrastructure.
• You can have dozens of functions tightly coupled and
delivered as a behemoth.
• Timer-based processing
• SaaS Event Processing
• Full Serverless Architecture
• Real-Time Stream Processing
• Real-Time Bot Messaging
• Serverless mobile back-ends
Creating our first “Hello World” function!
• Function Key
• Host Key
• A “Run” file that containing the function code
• A “Function” file containing all service and trigger bindings and
• A “Project” file containing project assembly and NuGet
• App Service settings, such as connection strings and API keys
V1 Only on Windows
npm install -g azure-functions-core-tools
V2 with .NET Core on all platforms
npm install -g [email protected]
Initialize your first function
func init MyFunctionProj
Precompiled functions with C# and Visual Studio
• local.settings.json will have all your local settings on
the dev machine.
• C# can also be read in your code as environment variables.
• Extend the existing Azure App Service platform
• Go with “Consumption Plan” and be pure Serverless
• Deploy Functions Runtime on an on-prem location in your
• Deploy Functions to Google Cloud, AWS, and more.
• Scale Controller : event-driven scaling through KEDA
• Runtime Controller : functions runtime in a Docker container
Azure Functions Runtime (Run on-prem)
Documentation for the host.json file
More CLI commands to run functions locally
Functions on Kubernetes
http://daron.me | @daronyondem
Download slides here;