Developer Relations is a very new concept in the industry today, a lot of B2D companies are beginning to pay serious attention to it, and this way their community of users are happy and effective.
I believe that this should be the same in open source communities because Developers and Designers are at the heart of every open source community.
In this talk, I'll list out why open source communities should care about Developer Relations, methods & strategies that can be used to approach developer relations in open source, and lastly, how to build an effective developer relations program in an open-source community.
Approaching Developer Relations in
an Open Source Community
● Developer Advocate @ Cloud Foundry Foundation.
● Technical Writer, LogRocket, Smashing Magazine
● Auth0 Ambassador
● OSCA Core Team member
This entire talk is based off my article on how we approach
developer relations at the Cloud Foundry Foundation(an open
Developer Relations isn’t just for
corporate companies, Developer
Relations is for every community of
What is Developer Relations?
It’s a group of Developer Advocates,
Technical Community Managers, Technical
Ambassadors, Documentation Writers,
Trainers, and more who all exist to
empower you(developers) to do your best
- Mary Thengvall
What is Developer Relations
What is Developer Relations to OSS communities?
It is basically caring about developers,
educating, growing and collecting
feedback from the community.
Developer Relations can come in any
form like community management,
documentation writing etc.
What is Developer Relations to OSS
Why should OSS communities care about
● Developers are at the core of every OSS community.
● Creates a sense of empathy towards Developers.
● It empowers developers to be able to utilize the software
● It enables collaboration internally and between other
How do we pay more attention to Developer
Relations as an OSS community?
● Listen to the community.
● Understand what you are trying to achieve.
● Learn from other communities getting developer relations right
(VueJS, ReactJS, Gatsby, Drupal).
● Develop a strategy
How to build an effective developer relations
program in an open-source community.
● Understand the demographic of your community.
● Provide feedback avenues for folks in your community.
● Make your community inclusive and accessible.
● Community Reward Programs.
● Great Documentation for the technology.
● Collaboration with other communities.
● More tutorials and use cases.
● Organize talks and webinars.
Email: [email protected]