In all of my experience as a Software Developer that has worked with teams, having technical Skill is important but Soft Skills are the most important. Soft skills are individual personality traits that determine whether you will work well with your colleagues and be a good fit at a company. These are intangible but extremely important for almost every kind of position. Soft skills include things like good communication, honesty, teamwork, punctuality, integrity, and organization. I'd run through Various soft skills that are essential for developers in this talk
Essential Soft Skills Every Developer
Should Try to Have
Community Manager for Facebook Developer’s circle
I make a lot of noise on Twitter
Software Development is more
than just writing code
“ Technical Skills + Soft Skills
= A Balanced Software
What are Soft Skills?
Oxford Dictionary Says:
Soft skills are
Personal attributes that enable
someone to interact effectively
and harmoniously with other
It’s basically a set of individual
personality traits that determine
whether you will work well with
your colleagues and be a good
ﬁt at a company
Soft Skills are intangible but
extremely important for
almost every kind of position.
97% of the time, it’s all about the
person behind the code not the
code itself. Everybody can write
code if they learn,
It’s not some sort of super power
meant for special people
has to do with more of emotions
Cannot be easily learned
“The Ability to effectively
convey ideas is just as
important as the ability to write
great code” – Tristan Hamish
Soft skills are the difference between adequate
candidates and ideal candidates. In most
competitive job markets, recruitment criteria do
not stop at technical ability and specialist
Technical Skills are:
Valuable for Speciﬁc Jobs,
Technical , Learned
through training and also
Let’s Deep Dive into
these soft skills ♀
Essential Soft Skills
● Communication .
● Time Management.
● Self Management Skills.
● Adaptability: Your Willingness to Adjust.
● Work Ethic: Your Ability to buckle down.
● Teamwork: How well your work with others.
● Ability to take criticism/feedback: Your Willingness to grow.
● Empathy: How well do you put yourself in others shoes.
● Approachability: Your Level of Accessibility.
● Lifelong Learning
● Tone in Code Reviews
● Critical thinking
But I am an Introvert……..
You can improve your soft skills
without necessarily changing
who you are by practice and
knowing when and where each
of the various soft skills is
Why Should I work on my soft skills?
It’s makes you different from other
employees or candidates.
Employers these days are looking for
the “difference” in you that isn’t in other
candidates or employees not just the
Skills and qualiﬁcations.
●It is important for career
●It goes hand in hand with
It is the key to:
●Building important workplace
How can I improve my soft skills?
● Acknowledge that you need to improve.
● Set a goal.
● Practice having effective conversations with people.
● Learn to Speak up more when it is needed.
● Read books on soft skills.
● Surround yourself with proactive people.
● Pay more attention to details
● Empathize more with both your colleagues and clients.
References and Resources
● Soft Skills: The Software Developer’s Life Manual by
● Working on your soft skills as a software developer by
● 10 Soft Skills every Developer Needs
● Top 7 Soft Skills for Developers in 2019 - Simple
“I've learned that people will forget
what you said, people will forget what
you did, but people will never forget
how you made them feel”. - Maya