The Viking Blogger App is a demo application that we’ll be building during the prep work and over the course of our intensive program to show you an end-to-end design and production process for a real web application.
The Viking Blogger:
An Introduction to the demo application we’ll
use throughout the prep and intensive program
1. Show off a real development workﬂow from
beginning to end for a complex application.
2. Show off each of many speciﬁc coding skills
that will be necessary to build the application.
3. Show how to take a complicated application
and construct it using very simple pieces (over
the course of almost 4 months)
How it Will Work
• Each week, we’ll cover a different part of the
• We’ll start at the highest level and the most basic —
ﬁguring out who is going to use it and what the
application will look like (the design process)
• We’ll then move into the production process and
construct everything from the database to the Rails
back end to the HTML and CSS on the front…
completely from scratch. We’ll even deploy it to
Heroku so you can see it live on the web!
The Design Process
Remember the Design Process steps?
1. Discovery — ﬁgure out who the user is, what their
goals are, and what will make them happy when
using the app
2. Strategy — ﬁgure out what information
architecture, navigation, and interactions will best
bring the user to their goals… imagine good UX!
3. Design — mock up the pages to best serve the
Let’s get started!
Insert additional slides as I build out the
production process — tie it back to the previous
example of the backend stuff but super high level
in an overview. Include lots of images and screen
caps from the ﬁnal product.
(This slide intentionally left blank)