Last Month in PHP
October 20, 2012
Kansas City PHP User Group
Slides: http://kcpug.org Dan Holmes
New PHP Versions
● PHP 5.4.8
● PHP 5.3.18
● Fix: Exceptions thrown in
_autoload can now be caught
● Curl Wrapper: Less CPU
● FPM stability improvements
● Error Handler now catches
more fatals like:
Changelog available at: http://www.php.net/ChangeLog-5.php
New PHP RFC - Pádraic Brady: Escaper
● Dedicated to the secure escaping of untrusted values
against Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) and related
● htmlspecialchars(), htmlentities() aren't really enough
● Similar to the HTMLPurifier, ZF2's Escaper and
Symfony/Twig's escaper extension, but hopefully in
The October Calm
● 2.2 in development - added Twig namespace support
(faster, easier to use)
● 1.4.19 Maintence version Released
● 2.0.2 - Fixed issue in the "Router" service affecting url creation
● 2.0.3 - 100+ bug fixes.
Other frameworks I thought to spotcheck, seemed pretty quiet
Notable Library Updates
● PHPunit 3.7 released
○ Can now be installed via Composer!
○ Still working out some install bugs it seems, though...
● Doctrine 2.3.0 released
● SensioLabs Desktop
○ Announced by Fabien Potencier at SymfonyLive 2012 - SF
○ GUI for managing your PHP projects / Composer
Symfony Talks online!
From Fabian's Keynote to Silex, Composer,
Solr, Forms, REST...even Drupal 8!
Talks from Symfony Live SF and Paris
Free Webinar of the month!
Want to get started in an OSS project,
but don't know where to start?
Watch Jeremy Mikola's (from 10gen)
Being a Good OSS Contributor
● Voices of the ElePHPant
● PHP Town Hall Episode 1
● /Dev/Hell episode 20
PHP & Web - Issue #7 - Free as PDF
PHP Architect - ZF2, WP as a dev platform
Of course, right as my subscription ran out
even NetTuts+ had a ton of Good stuff on TDD, Selenium, Vagrant, DI
Podcasts and Magazines
Chris Hartjes: In the News
Working on "The
PHPUnit Cookbook" to
be released in early