lightning talk presented at Milwaukee Functional Programming group in March 2018
F# Type Providers
What is a type provider?
"An F# type provider is a component that
provides types, properties, and methods for
use in your program. Type providers are a
signiﬁcant part of F# 3.0 support for
So . . . code generation?
• Only lives inside compiler (erased types)
• Leverages power of F# type system
Why use them?
• Deal with external data in a type-safe way
• Very low friction for quickly interacting with data
• Not an SDK that has to be versioned, updated, etc
• Almost ready for primetime with .NET Core 2.1
• FSharp.Data ported, many others being updated
• Original paper “Types from data: Making structured data
ﬁrst-class citizens in F#”
• Check out some type providers
• Build your own type provider
• Learn F#