Presented online at UEI Virtual Seminar, http://aycl.uie.com/virtual_seminars/powerful_design_tools
We’re in a rut. Web design solves problem by mirroring what’s always been done. This means reusing the same layouts again and again. And again. But it doesn’t have to be this way! Jen Simmons rallies web professionals to take a fresh approach. She challenges us to solve problems in ways not considered possible on the web. She starts by showing us what’s wrong and ends on a high note: hope.
Web design today
* A closer look at that sidebar
* Responsive web design and moving sidebars
History of web design layout
* What layout?
* The medium shaped the medium
Layout should serve the content
* Vogue: measuring the site against the magazine
* What this approach could mean for ads
Translate, don’t transfer
* Emerging web technologies worth a deeper look
* Fresh ideas for layout innovation and principles to follow
Attend this seminar if you want to:
* Find inspiration beyond what already exists
* Use the ideas you had but didn’t think you could use on the web
* Shake up your layouts with tools available today
* Create something beautiful and fresh
Jen will take a walk through where we’ve been, where we might be going, and how we can design better by thinking bigger. This talk features practical examples of what's newly possible, along with access to a code repo to play with later.
Join Jen to get excited about the incredible power of the web and what we’re collectively inventing.