Saturday 10:00am, Room 1
OSM in Sri Lanka
The World Bank.
• Importance of OSM activities in Sri Lanka
• How does the existing data sharing method work out in Sri Lanka
• Capacity of Disaster Management Center(DMC)
• How does the Sri Lanka Government motivate the OSM activities
and Process the methods
• Activities of present OSM community members in Sri Lanka
• Improvement and Challenges of OSM
Importance of OSM Activities in Sri Lanka
• Data updating is a problem in Sri Lanka, OSM is filing the
DMC could able to use the OSM data for the Pre-disaster and
Post Disaster activities.
Manmunai North Municipal Council is using the OSM data to
produce the number of maps. (Waste Collection, Numbering the
District Secretariat of Batticaloa is using the OSM data for the
planning purpose. (City Planning, Water resource management
Administration Structure of Sri Lanka is strengthen to carry out
the OSM activities.
OSM Analysis tool supports to DMC
MN Municipal Council
District Secretariat Batticaloa
How does the Present Data Sharing Method work out in
• Data sharing was not available in Sri Lanka before OSM activities
• Data sharing methods are gradually improved in Sri Lanka.
• The World Bank Sri Lanka has been initiated a data sharing platform
with DMC .
Capacity of Disaster Management Centre
• The position of Assistant Director of Disaster Management Centre has
been appointed by the Government for 25 Districts unit.
• DM Activities are being carried out through Ministries, Departments
and Public Corporations, Provincial Councils and Local Authority
Administrations, District, Division and Grama Niladhari
• DMC will be directing to; issuing guidelines, facilitating, coordinating,
monitoring, where necessary directly implementing or enforcing
activities related to:
Hazard mapping and risk assessment, Information and data collection,
Research and analysis, Building technology, forecasting, early warning and
How does the Sri Lankan Government Motivate the OSM
and Process the Method
• Sri Lankan Government helps to update and improve the Geo –Spatial Data
in Sri Lanka.
• Disaster Management Centre of Sri Lanka implements the OSM activities.
• District Secretariat facilitates through DS secretariats in collaboration with
UNDP Sri Lanka.
• DS secretary facilitates through relevant GN Officers and Development
• Development officers and Staff of DS Division are collecting the exposure
information and entering the data into OSM.
Activities of present OSM community members in
• Forming an open forum (http://lkosm.freeforums.net/) and created
FB page to share the knowledge and events of OSM.
• Trying to share the benefit of the free map to everyone by converting
data to several usable formats like ; Garmin, Navitel, 7Ways etc.
• Encourage everyone to share their local Geo-Spatial knowledge via
IT and Channels
• Actively editing the map to reflect the Country Boundary, Road
System, Rivers Waterways such as Lakes and Irrigations Systems,
Railway Lines, Electricity Lines Power Stations, Air Ports and
Runaways, Forest Boundaries and Sanctuaries, Admin Boundaries,
Land usage data and all other POIs.
• Support to OSM Projects
• Requesting Imagery
• Resolving Map-Notes made by others
• Knowledge sharing
• Prevention of vandalism to the map
• Quality Control
• Spreading the word of OSM and it’s benefits
within the country
Challenges and Improvement of OSM
• High cost of Internet Services.
• Need of decent Equipment.
• Reluctance to accept the new Technology in our Society.
• Insufficient up-to-date imagery.
• Lack of Media support.
• Despite all of above facts “We Sri Lankan” have the best map in the