December 2, 2016 APUJ 70th Anniversary International Symposium @Arcadia Ichigaya Hotel-Tokyo
• Indonesian Universities in Number
• Darma Persada University
• The Current State of International Exchange
with other University from Japan
• Outlook toward 2025
Source: The Global Innovation Index 2016 Report
https://www.globalinnovationindex.org/gii-2016-report# on 24 November 2016
For the innovation index, Indonesia is targeted to be at number 26 in the world
ranking system in 2019.
This year, Indonesia is at number 88.
Indonesian Universities in Number
• Currently Indonesia has 4.497
– 4.097 private universities
– 400 state universities.
• Numbers of students: 4.341.743:
– 2.739.174 students in private
– 1.602.569 students in state
A Gratitude or Appreciation
• Darma Persada University is a private
university that was established in 1986
by Persada (Persatuan Alumni dari
Jepang) or as known as Association of
Former Student in Japan.
• The university was established as a
gratitude or appreciation from the
students toward both Japan and
• As a private University, Darma Persada
based on spirit to bring knowledge and
experience in Japan and contribute it to
Number of Active Students
• Now, Darma Persada University is formed by a strong line up of 4
Faculties and 15 departments:
– Department of Literature,
– Department of Engineering,
– Department of Marine Technology,
– Department of Economy, and
– Graduate program of Renewable Energy.
• Up until now, November 2016 Darma Persada have approximately
• The unique point of Darma Persada is “Monozukuri Education” and
“Japanese Language” which are assigned to all students.
30th Birthday of Unsada
• On July 28, 2016 Darma Persada was
celebrating his 30th birthday.
• Japan Indonesia Association which
always supports Darma Persada
before the commemorative ceremony
established “Friends of Darma
• “Friends of Darma Persada” is a
supporting department for Darma
• Former Prime Minister of Japan, Mr.
Yasuo Fukuda attended the ceremony
Fostering a Good Relation
• Up until now Darma Persada has been fostering a good relation with
universities from Japan.
• From Takushoku University, Osaka Economy University, Kansai
International University, Hiroshima University, Saga University,
Fukuoka Women University, Teikyo University, Jigyou Souzou
University, Production Technology University, Osaka Prefectural
University, Osaka Prefectural College University, and last but not
least Yamanashi University.
• Darma Persada had started an agreement between these
universities such as student exchange and short term training
Cooperation with Japanese Universities
• Current Cooperation
1. Takushoku UniversityStudent Exchange, Speech Contest,
2. Hiroshima UniversityStudy in Doctoral Course, Speech Contest
3. Kansai University of International StudiesStudent Exchange
4. Advanced Institute of Industrial TechnologyAsia Professional
5. Osaka Prefercture University
6. OPU College of TechnologyStudent Exchange
7. Osaka University of Economics
8. Osaka International University
9. Saga UniversityResearch Collaboration
10.Fukuoka Women’s UniversityResearch Collaboration
12.Yamanashi Gakuin University
• Future Expectation
– Waseda University
– Universities in Fukuoka Prefecture
Really Meaningful Cooperation
• For Darma Persada, having a cooperation with other universities
from Japan is really meaningful. First, when scholarship from
government is limited, cooperation between universities is really
needed. Now, students can have a really good opportunity to study
abroad such as short term training program based on the agreement
• Furthermore, for students or lecturers who want to continue their
study to master and doctoral degree have good opportunity because
of this cooperation. After they finished their program they can teach
and make an improvement in Darma Persada.
• Moreover, through this cooperation, internship program in Japan
corporation chance is broadly opened.
The Monozukuri Spirit
• Students are able to know more about “Monozukuri Spirit” which is
not taught in any university and only taught in Japan corporation.
• Students are not only able to learn terms used in Japan companies,
but also experience more about the spirit itself.
• Moreover, they can understand more about Japan culture and
condition. Additionally, the students are able to contribute in order to
deepen the understanding between two countries.
• From now on, we can support and contribute to any Japan
companies, which want to expand their business to Indonesia
through our students.
Human Resource Development
UNSADA foster human resources with those specialties of “Monozukuri
Spirit” and become the only one educational institute which grow and
develop together with Indonesia.
the Cross Cultural Exchange
• Furthermore, The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science
and Technology of Japan or as known as MEXT, have a lot of
budget for training program.
• Such as student exchange, and other culture exchange between
Indonesia and Japan. Also there are training program with local
residents and companies.
• All of this cooperation is really important and essential for deepening
the cross-cultural exchange.
• To continue this opportunity, mutual understanding is needed.
Indonesia wants to accomplish this vision by taking more action
such as exchange students from Japan.
Need More Attractive and
• As the explanation above, Darma
Persada had started building a good
relation with universities and
companies from Japan. Such as
student exchange; standard students
who study in Japan and students
from Japan to Indonesia for training,
and other mutual program.
• In the near future we need more
attractive and better program
between universities in Japan and
Need Excellent Human
• As of 31st December 2015, AEC (ASEAN Economic Cooperation)
was established, and it will further enhance the development of
social system among ASEAN countries.
• In the future, excellent human resources will be recruited and trained
regardless whether they are from Indonesia or from other ASEAN
• There will be more mobility among ASEAN and Japanese students,
and there will be less and less gap regarding the nationality of the
• Education for human resources with both high global communication
skill and specialist knowledge which are applicable globally will be
highly appreciated. And we should adapt to these global trend.
Broaden a Global View
• Education in universities in Indonesia is gradually getting better, and
all university sends their students abroad and taking international
students to their university.
• Therefore, in the future, Darma Persada University will endeavor for
further exchange program with other universities.
• We will strive to become a unique university with high quality,
organized and continuation good university, credit transfer system,
academic records, double degree, joint degree, etc.
• Through this program, students can have not only academic degree,
but also broaden a global view, not limited in their own local view.
• We want to work for this effort for Government of Indonesia and
other institution, such as companies.