Advanced Security and Rapid Innovation for Every Screen. A joint talk between Canonical and Screenly at QSRNext.
Beyond Just a Menu Display
Advanced Security and Rapid Innovation for Every Screen
IoT Field Engineer, Canonical
Ubuntu is everywhere
A ﬂavour of Ubuntu with a minimal footprint
Modular and simple architecture and packages: snaps!
Updated transactionally, worry free updates and rollback
Automatically conﬁnes applications for additional security
Provides an amazing developer experience with snapcraft
With a store to easily update devices and add/remove apps
Trusted cadence and Long Term Support releases
What is Ubuntu Core?
Applications are provided as snaps!
● The snap format is a compressed ﬁlesystem with a single
metadata ﬁle describing the security proﬁle and desired
integration of the snap.
● That format is shared by everyone in the snap community,
regardless of their choice of store, authentication systems,
licensing or host Linux distribution.
● Decisions taken now by a Technical Oversight Board that
represents a range of communities and companies.
● Easy packaging system, Package it once and be in control of
the version delivery and the software stack
A store to manage your devices and updates
Provides identity and update mechanisms for
• Secure by design
• IoT Graphics using standard Wayland protocol and
• Easy conﬁguration, deployment and update
• Up to 10 years of support by Canonical
• Compatible with Flutter, Qt, html5 and more
Trusted by the likes of …
"The move to Screenly provides security updates even faster. This in turn gives us
the peace of mind that our digital signage devices are secured and that we’re as
protected as we can be from the latest hacks or ransomware."
- Nathan Hunstable, CTO, Cinergy
Saved $50,000 on the move to Screenly
Developers are the most important
decision makers in the coming
Edge Apps empower developers to build
powerful applications, such as:
• Check-in kiosks
• Intelligent lobby screens
• Dashboard screens
• Industry 4.0 real time displays
• Wayﬁnding screens
• Vending machines
• Queue management screens
• Transportation schedule screens
Your value-add and differentiator lies here...
We've already solved this part.
With Screenly's Edge Apps, you can focus on what you
really care about: the app.
We enable users to shave several months off of their time
to market while also saving hundreds of thousands of
Edge App Example
● Implement strategy to bring technology in-house and develop as a
● Select OS to support initial production management system
developed as a Flutter application
● The combination of Ubuntu Core and Ubuntu Frame is an ideal
platform to support modern graphical applications based on Flutter
● Ubuntu Core supports a wide range of production-ready hardware
from OEM and ODM partners, including the Intel NUC
● Greggs has developed several applications, including a production
management system, order management system & in-store POS
● These applications have been rolled out across an estate of 2,500+
stores, with OTA updates managed via a private IoT App Store
Case study - Greggs
Thank you, get in touch at