Docker: Form Idea to Dev

Docker: Form Idea to Dev

Part 1 of 3 part series of webinars on Docker for CloudAcademy. You can read the summary (with link to video) on the CloudAcademy blog: http://cloudacademy.com/blog/docker-containers-how-they-work/

94378c403019af23a28b08447a34b8e0?s=128

Adam Hawkins

October 17, 2016
Tweet

Transcript

  1. Docker: From Idea to Dev cloudacademy.com

  2. Plan My Goal: Familiarize you with Docker so you can

    start today Presentation & Demo ~10 minutes for Q & A. Please put your questions in the chat.
  3. Hi! I’m Adam Hawkins • Site Reliability Engineering Team Lead

    at Saltside • Manages ~350 containers in production • 2+ years of Docker experience • “Introduction to Docker” course lecturer • @adman65 • http://blog.slashdeploy.com
  4. Docker & Friends

  5. ”Docker containers wrap a piece of software in a complete

    filesystem that contains everything needed to run: code, runtime, system tools, system libraries – anything that can be installed on a server. This guarantees that the software will always run the same, regardless of its environment.” Docker Inc. (2016)
  6. Use Cases Build Ship & Run • Development Environment Automation

    • Managing Data Stores • Cross OS Development • Development & Production Parity
  7. Use Cases Build Ship & Run • Infrastructure Standardization •

    CI Build Isolation • Testing New Software • Distributing New Software
  8. Right, But what is it? • Built on top of

    Linux kernel features like control groups • Isolates process and their resources from others running on a single kernel • Not “light weight” virtualization as often described. This is inaccurate
  9. Containers vs VMs Credit: docker.com

  10. The Docker Flow

  11. Build, Ship, Run $ docker build -t my_org/my_app . $

    docker push my_org/my_app $ docker run my_org/my_app
  12. None
  13. The Official Registry & Library • Default place to push

    & pull images (customizable) • Tons of useful base images in the official library! • Covers 90% of common use cases • User contributed images cover the remaining 10% • Odds are there is a base image for your language (Python, Ruby, Node, Java, Go, and more) • Also images for data stores (Redis, MySQL, MongoDB, and more)
  14. Docker Compose • Models multi container applications through a configuration

    file • Great for development and testing • Can even be used to deploy to staging/ production
  15. Docker Machine • Creates Docker hosts • Can create local

    VMs • Can create cloud instances on AWS/Azures/ etc • Can even create Docker swarms
  16. Demo Time! Build a docker image and start a container

    Play with docker compose Show off misc features/commands
  17. Demo Time! cloudacademy.com

  18. Question Time cloudacademy.com

  19. Thank you! https:/ /cloudacademy.com/webinars/ https:/ /cloudacademy.com/enterprise-cloud-training/ https:/ /cloudacademy.com/pricing/ cloudacademy.com