When you don't know the code, how do you KNOW it's a good plugin?
CHOOSING THE RIGHT WORDPRESS PLUGIN
(Without knowing any code)
Mika Ariela Epstein (aka Ipstenu)
DreamHost WordPress Guru
• forum rep for 2012 and 2013
• Plugin Review Team volunteer
• core contributor
WHO AM I?
WHAT ARE PLUGINS?
Plugins Are Add-ons to WordPress
• Plugins can extend WordPress to do almost anything you
• Plugins are tools to extend the functionality of WordPress.
• The core of WordPress is designed to be lean, to maximize
Flexibility and minimize code bloat. Plugins offer custom
functions and features so that each user can tailor their
site to their speciFic needs.
Where Can I Get Plugins?
• OfFicial Repository:
What about Plugin Shops?
• Auto-‐Tweet your new posts
• Keep track of site statistics
• Stop spammers
• Connect your site to other websites
• Keep track of your beer brewing
• Run an e-‐commerce store
• Handle tickets for your event
• Rickroll your videos
can do Anything!
Too Many Options
• 27,000+ plugins
• 200 new ones requested every week
– 100 approved
– 50 rejected
– 50 ‘pending’ some reply
• 4500 commits a week (vs core which averages 50)
THERE ARE ONLY FOUR STEPS TO PICKING THE
It’s all about what you know
1. WHAT PLUGIN DO YOU NEED?
Needs vs Wants
• Features you don’t want are useless
• Features you don’t use are wasted
• Features you already have are redundant
• Features you rarely use are important
• Features you use regularly are needed
2. WHO IS THAT DEVELOPER?
Know That Face
• What does their own website look like?
• What other WP work have they done?
• What other code in general do they work on?
• How do they behave in public?
• Authors are linked on every plugin page
• A good proFile tells you who the developer is
• Replying to topics means support
• Plugins Trac means they’re
updating their plugin
• Core Trac means contributing to
3. HOW IS IT SUPPORTED?
You Will Need Help
• What does the plugin page say?
• Where is it supported?
• Is support free or pay?
• How active is support?
• Is there a community?
Read The Fine ReadMe
4. HOW IS IT REALLY USED?
Know The Real World
Who’s really using this plugin?
What are the reviews?
Are there known pain points?
To the pain!
BUT WHAT ABOUT PLUGIN SHOPS?
Are they safe?
Are they supported?
Are they trustworthy?
Plugin Shops Are Fine
• Do they give back to WordPress?
• How do they handle support?
• Are they active in the support
• Are they mentioned in the forums?