Upgrade to Pro
— share decks privately, control downloads, hide ads and more …
May 24, 2016
Notes for ONS product owners
May 24, 2016
More Decks by Matt Jukes
See All by Matt Jukes
Other Decks in Technology
See All in Technology
See All Featured
Being a Product Owner at the ONS. Beyond the job
1.User Experience (UX) 2.Business 3.Technology 4.Team
1.User Experience (UX)
1.User Experience (UX) Learn how to undertake user research and
how to integrate it in to your decision making and prioritisation.
1.User Experience (UX) You are the voice of the user
in the product team so you will need to steer the priorities for the user researchers.
1.User Experience (UX) Observe as much user research as possible.
Ensure your team does this as well. Two hours every six weeks is target.
1.User Experience (UX) Read: https://userresearch.blog.gov.uk/2015/03/18/so-youre-going-to- be-a-user-researcher-top-tips-to-get-you-going/ https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/the-team/user-researcher http://www.disambiguity.com/guerrilla-empathy/
1.User Experience (UX) Learn how to sketch ideas and use
basic prototyping tools to help the team visualise concepts.
1.User Experience (UX) Read: https://library.gv.com/the-product-design-sprint-diverge-day-2- c7a5df8e7cd0#.wneifj8h5 http://www.almostexact.com/ux-comics/ http://chrismcgrath.com/blog/keynote-is-best-app-prototyping-
tool https://library.gv.com/the-product-design-sprint-prototype- day-4-ebab764ac69f#.swf2wrufy
1.User Experience (UX) Be aware of the ‘visual language’ of
the ONS. You aren’t a designer but you will make design decisions.
1.User Experience (UX) Read: http://onsdigital.github.io/ons-pattern-library-starter/ http://www.bbc.co.uk/gel/articles/what-is-gel https://boagworld.com/design/pattern-library/
2. Business Bring an understanding of the business process to
the team and a first hand knowledge of the user journey.
2. Business Bring a first hand understanding of the business
process to the team and knowledge of the user journey.
2. Business Understand the organisational environment. Who are the decision
makers, the stakeholders & the related teams.
2. Business Be the voice/face of the team internally. Make
sure there is sufficient communications activity. Too much is better than not enough.
2. Business Read: https://fitzdigital.wordpress.com/2015/09/21/showing-telling- plus-listening-collaborating-to-deliver/ https://gdsengagement.blog.gov.uk/2016/05/18/blog-like- there-arent-any-rules/ http://russelldavies.typepad.com/planning/2015/11/doing-
presentations.html https://medium.com/@jukesie/words-and- slides-2b2a8584e0f4#.ff5ucgif8
3. Technology Learn enough about the technology used in your
product that you can understand the high-level choices & trade-offs at a high level.
3. Technology Learn about version control (Git), collaborative programming (GitHub)
and at a high level how and when code gets deployed to users in your product.
3. Technology Read: http://mcfunley.com/choose-boring-technology https://blog.ons.digital/2016/01/20/technicalities-of-the-eq- alpha-outcomes-part-3/ https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/ https://18f.gsa.gov/2015/03/03/how-to-use-github-and-the- terminal-a-guide/ http://continuousdelivery.com/
4. Team The Delivery Manager will make sure things get
done but you must decide what gets done and when.
4. Team You are responsible for articulating the product vision
and making certain your team works towards that goal.
4. Team Work collaboratively but the backlog is your
responsibility. Always prioritise with the user and the vision in mind.
4. Team Work with the Service Manager (or equivalent) to
produce a product roadmap. This is part planning artefact, part communication. Own it.
4. Team Make sure retrospectives happen regularly. If possible
invite Product Owners from other teams to facilitate.
4. Team Read: http://www.jamiearnold.com/blog/2014/07/07/everyone-loves- a-roadmap http://www.jamiearnold.com/blog/2015/02/17/how-to-scale- agile-service-delivery http://digital.nhs.uk/how-the-nhs-uk-team-does-agile https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/agile-delivery/agile-tools- techniques