Web services and its integration in Android. Presented this talk in NitroDroid 2012.
Web service and Its integration
- By Paresh Mayani (@pareshmayani)
• The W3C defines a “web service” as “a
software system designed to support
interoperable machine-to-machine interaction
over a network.
XML / JSON
Categories of web service
• SOAP Web Service
• RESTful Web Service
Soap Web Service
• Simple Object Access Protocol
• An XML-based messaging protocol.
• Communication between the web
service and client happens using
• SOAP defines the rules for
communication like what are all the
tags that should be used in XML and
RESTful Web Service
• Representational State Transfer
• Describe an architecture style of
• An Architectural Style, Not a
• It uses architectures that use HTTP
or similar protocols by restricting
the interface to use standard
operations like GET, POST, PUT,
DELETE for HTTP
Goodbye SOAP – Welcome JSON
• Lightweight - not a lot of extra xml markup
• Human Readable Results
• It is a lightweight data-interchange format.
• It is easy for humans to read and write.
• It is easy for machines to parse and generate.
JSON is built on two structures:
• A collection of name/value pairs. In various languages, this is
realized as an object, record, struct, dictionary, hash table, keyed
list, or associative array.
• An ordered list of values. In most languages, this is realized as an
array, vector, list, or sequence.
• Reference: http://www.json.org/
• Option 1:
• Option 2:
Get in Touch