re:Invent in Review
• This is mostly going to be frontend focused.
• Las Vegas is literally the worst place on the planet.
• We're going to start from the most actionable and then head to
the more abstract.
• I'd much prefer this to be a conversation and not make it all the
way through these slides. So, interrupt me as much as you'd like.
• Architecture is working on documentation that bridges the
larger technology strategy to tactical things that each team can
• My ask: as we discuss some of these technologies, you think
about what problems can we solve for ourselves.
CloudFront Origin Failover
• For a while, supporting multi-region has been a "to-do" item in
that shared blueprint.
• If one region fails, CloudFront will automatically fall back to the
• We could set up cross-region republication on the buckets, so
that they're always in sync.
• Bad news: last time we checked, Terraform support hand't
CloudFront Developer Guide on Multi-Region Failover
Using WebSocket with CloudFront Distributions
• There is also support from API Gateway for WebSockets.
• This one is more of a two-part plan, since we'll need to have
some support on the server-side.
• But, for some of the asynchronous APIs this could very-well be a
pattern that we choose to advocate for.
Not New, But Still Important
• Implementing a shared solution to our client-side routing issues.
• "Measure twice, cut once."
• We don't have to
• Fixing out security headers as a pattern.
• Moving stuff out of the client.
• "A bit of backends for frontends."
A Brief Re-Introduction to Lambda@Edge
Some Use Cases
• Redirecting in the event that the cookie isn't valid.
• Moving our expensive code (e.g. parsing modules) out of the
client when possible
Where Do We Need to Focus
• We're going to need to up our Terraform chops
• Steven's guide to Terraform
• "Ephmeral-ish" environments for mutli-team monorepos (e.g.
Mako and MC)
• Josh's list of videos
• Cloudfront Origin Failover
• Using WebSocket with CloudFront Distributions
• Managing Lambda@Edge and CloudFront deployments by using
a CI/CD pipeline
• Leveraging Lambda@Edge for AdTech: Cookie Syncing at the
Recommended Reading (Continued)
• Dynamically Route Viewer Requests to Any Origin Using
• Adding HTTP Security Headers Using Lambda@Edge and
• Resizing Images with Amazon CloudFront & Lambda@Edge |
AWS CDN Blog
• Lambda@Edge Design Best Practices
Recommended Reading (Continued, continued)
• Reducing Latency and Shifting Compute to the Edge with
• Serving Private Content Using Amazon CloudFront & AWS
• Global Data Ingestion with Amazon CloudFront and
• Building a Serverless Subscription Service using Lambda@Edge