Hardware Miniconf Talk at Linuxconf 2016
Firmware Overview and Demos
By Mark Wolfe
• Install Arduino IDE 1.6.5
• Enter http://arduino.esp8266.com/staging/
package_esp8266com_index.json into Additional Board Manager URLs
• Copy libraries to your Arduino Libraries folder:
• ~/Documents/Arduino/libraries (OSX and Linux)
• My Documents\Arduino\libraries (windows)
• Hit Compile!
• Illustrate how to build a very basic IoT product, serial could be
printed on a screen.
• No hard coded SSID / Password
• No hard coded MQTT URL and credentials.
• Encapsulate some of the hard stuff
Testing the ESPlant
• Connect to the ESPlant using USB
• Open the Arduino Serial Monitor
• Copy the Access Token and note the name of your AP!
• Connect to your AP
• Connect the device to wiﬁ using the following command
• curl -v -H "Authorization: Token access_token_here“ 'http://
• Install mosquitto (MQTT client and server)
• Find out your IP and conﬁgure the ESPlant to send messages to your system using
the following command.
• The IP address of your ESPlant is printed to the console once it reboots and
connects to wiﬁ.
• Also you need your IP address of course.
• curl -v -H "Authorization: Token access_token_here" ‘http://X.X.X.X:9000/
• mosquitto_sub -v -t '#'
For the Adventurous
• Add support for the Neopixels provided in the kit
• Add support for the motion sensor
• Upgrade the on boarding to use https://github.com/tzapu/
• Entire stack built using Docker with Ansible on Github!
• wolfeidau on github
• wolfeidau on twitter
• [email protected]
• Engineer at Versent