A Brazilian Computer Science Index
Marco Tulio Valente,
Scholarly Communication Tools
Kramer, Bianca; Bosman, Jeroen (2015): 101 Innovations in Scholarly Communication -
the Changing Research Workflow. https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.1286826.v1
CSIndexbr is a experimental scholarly
communication tool, with two goals:
e.g. What are the "best" Brazilian papers in my area?
e.g. What are the "best" Brazilian CS depts in my area?
Index of recent papers published by Brazilian CS
professors in selected conferences and journals
in the last five years (2014-today)
- but "unofficial"
Primary data source: DBLP (dblp.org)
- High-quality metadata about CS papers
- Covers all relevant CS venues
- Very reliable API
3.2K users, 31K pageviews (in one year)
Statistics Page (Fev, 2019)
organization by research areas
Research Areas (21)
Brazilian CS Professors
- 1,070 professors
- 799 with indexed papers
If you miss a name (or for any other question):
or from csindexbr.org 12
Curated dataset of conferences and journals
- 15 conferences / area (max)
- Only full, main-track papers (10 pages)
- short, tool, workshop etc papers are not indexed
- submitted > 100 papers
- acceptance < 30%
- h5-index > 20
- Many areas: full papers < 10 pages
- Computer Networks: 18 confs
- Algorithms & Complexity: accept. ~ 40%
Exceptions are highlighted in yellow in Stats (C)
- 3 top-conferences / area (max)
- submitted > 180 papers
- h5-index > 30
- 15 journals / area (max)
- Indexed by JCR
- h5-index > 25
- 3 top-journals / area (max)
- ACM Transactions or IEEE Transactions (or similar)
Goal 1: Discovery
Papers / Conference [always in the last 5 yrs]
Papers / Journal
Papers (Conferences & Journals)
Professors with Papers (in a Research Area)
Goal 2: Assessment
- 1.0: paper in top-conference or top-journal
- 0.40: paper in journals
- 0.33: paper in
- journals with short papers
- journals with normalized-h5-index < 0.2
Dept Rankings: per Research Area
More details: FAQ
Beyond rankings: a repository for scientometrics
studies on Brazilian scientific production in CS
Source code and data is public on GitHub
Documentation (in progress)
First CSIndexbr-based study:
Brazilian Workshop on Software Visualization, Evolution and Maintenance, 2018
This paper (workshop, portuguese) is a good
opportunity for remembering that
not at CSIndexbr ≠ "irrelevant"
Another Example: most common words in
paper's titles (5-min analysis)
arXiv links & citations
Links to arXiv preprints (if available)
Only 5% of papers have preprints on arXiv
arXiv popularity (worldwide): 23%
Popularity of arXiv.org within Computer Science. Charles Sutton and Linan Gong,
Another feature: citations
- Crossref is an official DOI registration agency
- They maintain a database of citations
- used by ACM DL, IEEE DL, Dimensions etc
- Has a public API (unlike Google Scholar)
1. Internal improvements, scripts, refactorings etc
2. Update conferences and journals statistics (2018)
3. Extend data collection to more than 5 years
4. Integration with CNPq: link to Lattes
5. (?) "Global" depts ranking (all areas)
6. (?) Adjust scores by number of authors
7. Other countries
Quiz [para incentivar acesso ao sistema]
1. Em qual área o DCC tem mais pesquisadores?
2. Em qual área o DCC tem menos pesquisadores?
3. Qual o paper do DCC tem mais citações?
4. Qual o journal aceita o maior número de papers BR?
5. Em qual área o BR tem mais pesquisadores?
6. Qual o dept BR tem mais pesquisadores?
7. Qual o paper BR tem mais citações?
8. Qual a participação BR nos papers da área X?