Why Loopback Rocks?
@thecat | [email protected]
Founder and builder,
Lovelyreader | Pubulous | Visualmarks | Docknote
10+ years hands-on
What is Loopback?
- An open source project from StrongLoop"
- Main contributor behind Node.js, Express and
- A Node.js framework for creating APIs real
- With robust and well-thought out features
It’s good for?
- API service and gateway"
- Mobile backend and hybrid apps"
- Web (sites and SPAs)"
- Anything real-time
What’s in the box?
- A development framework"
- A bunch of DevOP toolsets"
- and a lot of wisdom packed in
Create API endpoints quickly
- Create schema in JSON and translate it to Model
- Each model comes in with 10+ CRUD methods"
- Methods become end points instantly
Highly customizable domain Models
- before/after hook for implementing business
- Create new remote methods for end points
- Mongodb, MySql, Postgres, MSSQL, Oracle"
- and a bunch of other DataSources"
- Forked from JugglingDb"
- Easy to use APIs and very efﬁcient"
- Highly customizable"
" " "
- Support all kinds of relationships: hasMany, belongsTo...
- Uploading ﬁles to S3"
- Amazon, Openstack, Rackspace, Azure"
- Just like a normal dataSource which provides
Built-in API Explorer
- Test APIs on the ﬂy"
- Adjustable parameters"
- Built-in User model provides register, login,
logout, forgot password and reset"
- Complete ACL rules setting
Role-based access control
- Who has right to access what?"
- Support dynamic $role deﬁnition too
- Using Passport"
- facebook/google/twitter/github "
- and 100+ providers"
- Stores data ofﬂine"
- App continues to work ofﬂine"
- Sync data when online"
- Conﬂict resolution and 3-way merging"
- Supports socket.io for real-time syncing"
Studio API Composer
- Editing models and datasources"
- Generate models from db schemas"
- Generate db schemas from models"
- Support iOS and Android"
- Coming feature"
- Real time notiﬁcation when model changes
Native SDK for iOS/Android/Angular
- Continue to use all middlewares"
- Reuse your existing skills"
- Build hybrid website and API end points in one"
- Could use Reactjs as server-side templating
engine (via express)
In the box
- slc debug" "
- Using node-inspector
- A standard way of packaging and building your
- StrongLoop Process Manager (slc-pm)"
- Works tightly with build/deploy tools"
- Provides zero-downtime application updates" " "
- Deployment best practices"
- Log to ﬁle, syslog, remote log, Splunk"
- Using Winston or Bunyan"
- Fully utilize all cores on the server"
- View cluster status anytime"
- Resizing clusters at runtime"
- Collecting metrics"
- Diagnose memory leaks"
- Proﬁle CPU consumption"
- With web UI"
- On-premises or hosted"
No Vendor Lock-in
- Everything is open sourced"
- Host on your own server
Paid commerical support
- When shit hits the fan, you know whom to ask
Active response and community
- google groups"
- github issues"
- Still evolving very fast hence incomplete
documentation and changing examples"
- Took one month to get my ahead around it initially "
- With professional guidance it shall take just 1 week
to pick up
When to use what?
For quick and simple tasks
- Koa and misc. middlewares"
- You gotta know what you are doing when home
brewing the whole stack though
For Enterprise-grade API services
- Because it’s well thought out and got all ends
For EC/Forum site
- Express or Loopback"
- Because it’s battle-tested
Do not reinvent the
Learn from the best
- Excellent coding skills for node.js development"
- Lot of test cases"
- Learn best practices for build/package/deploy/
cluster/monitor node.js apps
Stand on the shoulders
of giants and get yourself
a head start!
The Holy Grail
- The holy grail of fullstack development"
- React + Flux for front-end apps"
- Node.js and Loopback for backends"
- Highly efﬁciency, shorter time to market, robust
Loopback is way more than just a framework
to help you build the application, it also
provides a rich set of tools to help you debug,
build, package, deploy, cluster and monitor
In short, you are fully covered.
Professional training on
fullstack development at