Learning Through Blogging:
Ruby Blogging Beneﬁts
Kenji Mori (@morizyune)
Who am I?
• Kenji Mori (@morizyune)
• Ruby Programmer 4+ years
• Japanese Tech Blogger
Working at M3 Inc,.
• We are hiring! => http://stackoverﬂow.com/jobs/
Started career & blog in 2012
• Part-time web programmer in Jan. 2012
• Tech Blog(https://morizyun.github.io/) in Nov. 2012
• 2.4+ million page views from 2012
• 1-2 messages from companies / month
• Lead Tech Engineer at M3(work)
• Glad to talk here now!(Conference LT Speaker)
Perseverance Pays Dividends!
• Japanese Proverb
• Three years on a cold
stone will make the stone
• Updating my blog for 3+
years made me well known
in the Japanese Ruby
Blog as Your Sales Tool
• Blog => Sales Tool. Helps you and others.
• Local Memo => Private Tool. Helps only you.
Blog as Skill showcase
• Your blog shows your powerful skills!
Blog as Your Motivation Generator
• Others’ thanks => Motivation to learn new tech
• 1) Imagine a keyword which you ﬁll in Google:
• Someone who has a problem will read my blog, so
try to help him/her by my blog!
• 2) Summarise information which you collect:
• If I collect some information for a topic to solve a
problem, another engineer may need the information
too. Summarizing information is useful for everyone.
How to Increase Page View?
• Blog: Information to solve a problem
• Presentation: knowledge to describe a topic
Why do a presentation?
Teaching = Learning
• One of the best learning methods is to teach other people
• Teaching by presentations, teaching by blogging
• Expecting to teach enhances learning and organization of knowledge in free
recall of text passages => http://psych.wustl.edu/memory/nestojko.html
Workshop with coworkers
• 5 min "Lighting Talk" per week in workplace
• You can present your blog articles
Feedback & Improve
• Get others’ know-how
• Seek a way to improve
Finding Your Best Style
• Find your output style with which you match!
• Writing a tech blog
• Making a presentation
• Contributing OSS
Thank you a lot !