What's new in OAM V1Alpha2 Spec?
1. Highly extensible
Open up the definition of workload/trait/scope
Component is fully customizable for operators
2. Kubernetes native
Allow user to bring in their existing controllers
Seamlessly integrate operator framework
Ryan Zhang - Alibaba Cloud
Introduce OAM V1Alpha2 Spec
• Highly extensible
• Open up the definition of workload/trait/scope
• Component is fully customizable for operators
• Kubernetes native
• Allow user to bring in their existing controllers
• Seamlessly integrate operator framework
• Workload contains a schema
• This allows us to take schema out of a
• It can refer to any schema that
contains self identification.
• A component is an instantiation of a
workload with “customizable” fields
• Component instantiate a workload
• A developer creates the component.
• It follows the schema defined in the
• A component is close to a CR if the
workload Definition contains a CRD
• A parameter now can point to any fields
in the schema
• Trait/Scope both reference schema
• Trait and scope are as extensible as
• Application operators instantiate
Trait/Scope in the application
• Instantiation of traits are
embedded in the component.
• Components refer to
• We need a way to describe dependencies between components.
• We need a way for a trait to apply to extended workloads
• We need a way for an application developer.
• Trait registry
• Trait interacts with workloads
• Standard traits
Q & A