University of Illinois Web Conference
Tackling Content Migration &
Most of the information that exists
about content migration comes from
Defining Migration v. Maintenance
Conversion, reorganization and/or
consolidation of existing content to
new platform or infrastructure.
Processes and operations of existing
web content infrastructure.
● Content inventory
● Author Permissions Audit
● Stakeholder Interviews
● Taking stock of the information architecture
● Eliminating Outdated Content
Where Migration & Maintenance Intersect
● Lack of expertise devoted exclusively to content.
● Too many moving parts.
● People lacking the authority to engage the people
necessary to move the project forward.
The Challenges of Managing Content
What are your unique challenges to
managing content & migration?
How to avoid the pitfalls of overly
The fallacy of good experiences:
Notion that people like engaging with
our content/platforms and thus we
should keep doing things the way
we’ve always done them.
● Assess what the most important pieces are.
● Don’t try to tackle everything at once.
● Recognize your constraints
● Understand what matters
● Spare the details.
Moving Migration Forward
Web Governance is people being able
to answer who can get things
published on the institutional website.