Published on Aug 7, 2019
This slide was presented at SIGGRAPH 2019 Experience Presentation "Perception And Illusion".
1. © 2019 SIGGRAPH. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. A DESIGN FOR OPTICAL CLOAKING DISPLAY Takahito Aoto*, Yuta Itoh*, Kazuki Otao, Kazuki Takazawa, Yoichi Ochiai !1 * Joint first author ship
2. Introduction For immersive experience 3
3. Introduction Cloak of invisibility 4Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
4. Introduction Cloaking Technologies 5 Cai et al Choi et al Micro structure Digital device
5. Introduction Cloaking Technologies 6 Cai et al Choi et al Only specific wavelength Have a latency Need to pre-capture Not suitable for real world cloaking Micro structure Digital device
6. Introduction Passive Method 7 Paraxial OursMirror based Howell et al Choi et al
7. Introduction Our Method 8
8. Introduction Features 9 Our method has features: - View independence - broadband spectrum - low-latency - and a large size cloaking.
9. Index 10 1. Introduction 2. Plane Symmetric Optics 3. Viewpoint Transformation 4. Evaluation 5. Discussion
10. Index 11 1. Introduction 2. Plane Symmetric Optics 3. Viewpoint Transformation 4. Evaluation 5. Discussion
11. Plane Symmetric Optics What is plane symmetric optics 12 Mirror DCRA Target point DCRAMirror Target point Transferrd pointVirtual point
12. Plane Symmetric Optics Dihedral Corner Reflector Array 13 Orig Transfferd (a) (b) OverView Top View Pitch size Transmitted LightSingle ReflectionDouble Reflection
13. Plane Symmetric Optics Previous research using DCRA 14 Haptoclone Air-Mount Retinal Projection (Makino et al. SIGGRAPH’15) (Ochiai et al. SIGGRAPH’18)
14. Viewpoint Transformation 15
15. Viewpoint Transformation 16
16. Viewpoint Transformation 17
17. Viewpoint Transformation 18
18. Viewpoint Transformation 19
19. Viewpoint Transformation 20 Cloaked region
20. Viewpoint Transformation Difference between ours and mirror based 21
21. Evaluation 22
22. Evaluation 23 0.5m 0mm +50mm +100mm +150mm -50mm-100mm-150mm 1.5m bent observation
23. Discussion Color shift 24 Direct observation Bent observation
24. Conclusion 25 We achieved optical cloaking system using two types of plane symmetric optics: mirror and dihedral corner reflector array. Features: View independence, broadband spectrum, and a large size cloaking. Limitations: Color shift eﬀect, luminance shift eﬀect.
25. FAQ 26 Q. Is this the only configuration to achieve cloaking by mirrors and DCRA? - No. If the virtual view position overlay to the original view position, the cloaking can be achieved. Q. How big is the cloaking volume? - It depends on view position and size of optical elements. Please visit our booth! Q. How large is the field of view? - It depends on view position and size of optical elements. In ideally set up, our cloaking is work when light transmitted first mirror pass through the last mirror.