The web is/was an agreement about a set of technologies. We're replacing those technologies. Is the result still the web?
This presentation is from OpenTech 2015: http://www.opentech.org.uk/2015/
A mobile web...
of apps and documents
What is the web?
I’ve asked variations of this question in the past: https://plus.google.com/+AdeOshineye/posts/HJXQ81eVSqH
The web is/was agreement
The web is...
• View source
* we say user-agents but in practice we tend to mean browsers
HTTP => HTTP/2
• HTTPS by default but HTTP/2 doesn’t
• Multiplexed, 1 TCP connection,
server-push, header compression
• Easy to reverse-engineer
User agents (not just browsers)
• Apps containing pages
• Embedded webviews
• Chrome Custom Tabs/SFSafariViewController
• Mobile versus desktop browsers
HTML as object code
• Deeplinks and custom URL schemes
• Apps handling URLs and bypassing browsers
Is this still the web?
The web absorbed gopher, WAIS, FTP and friends.
Is it still the web now that it’s absorbed apps?